Ron Hill Bikester DXBs..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cant miss this one if you want some cycling specific leggings, ideal for commuting and general wear....

http://www.rannerdale.webeden.co.uk/

Look for the Ron Hill sale, Bikester DXBs for £14.95 plus £2.25 postage...the cheapest deal i've seen by a long long way.

Limited sizes available.....just ordered my second pair. I couldnt buy normal Bikesters for that money 2 years ago, let alone DXBs.

stevenb

I have a pair of Bikesters.....perfect for putting over the top of my shorts....although they can occasionally snag on my saddle...but not often....essential winter attire...:rolleyes:

Blonde

Never got on with 'em myself - neither the bikesters or the tracksters (for running). Both were too short in the leg for me and I didn't find them warm enough for cycling, not even the water resistant ones. I much prefer 'roubaix' tights.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Blonde said:
Never got on with 'em myself - neither the bikesters or the tracksters (for running). Both were too short in the leg for me and I didn't find them warm enough for cycling, not even the water resistant ones. I much prefer 'roubaix' tights.

Have you got long legs then !!!! :evil: Crikey, i am a 32 inch IL, didnt think mine were short .... but perhaps the girls waist / leg lengths dont really compute in this clothing...maybe, maybe not.

Warm enough...no, undoubtedly not a winter specific piece of clothing, but good enough for short commutes...and definately good for the rest of the year.

Forgive my ignorance, whats the difference with the Roubaix tights. Material, fit, more winter specific ?

Anyways, for general riding on a budget, they are as good as it gets for the outlay.

wafflycat

Roubaix tights are much more close fitting than Bikesters. The Roubaix bit refers to the material from which it is made: thermal, brushed lining, four-way stretch - that sort of thing: designed for cold-weather cycling.

Dormouse

My Bikesters are falling apart at the seams and have not seen much use so I wouldn't buy them again. They are also prone to snagging in the chain ring. Tights are the way to go I reckon.

Tracksters are OK for orienteering, canoeing etc apart from the lack of a decent pocket for keys.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Dormouse said:
My Bikesters are falling apart at the seams and have not seen much use so I wouldn't buy them again. They are also prone to snagging in the chain ring. Tights are the way to go I reckon.

Tracksters are OK for orienteering, canoeing etc apart from the lack of a decent pocket for keys.

Sorry your experience hasnt been good Dormouse..but it just goes to show...different person, different view.
This is my third pair, probably wear them 4 days a week for commuting (only a few miles to be fair), they stay on under my overalls all day, i always wear them if i'm not wearing shorts....i wear them to death...
I guess each pair has lasted a year ...with quite regular and heavy use. Funnily enough, i've never caught them in the chainrings, but do agree the coin pocket is virtually useless.

But c'mon guys :evil::biggrin:....less than £15 a pair.....For anyone who wants cheap comfortable leggings for commuting...

Blonde

gbb said:
Have you got long legs then !!!! :evil: Crikey, i am a 32 inch IL, didnt think mine were short .... but perhaps the girls waist / leg lengths dont really compute in this clothing...maybe, maybe not.

Well I might have been Ok with the leg length in a larger size but then they'd be too big round the waist/hips. I took the 'small' size and my inseam (trousers - not to the floor) is 33 inches.

gbb said:
Anyways, for general riding on a budget, they are as good as it gets for the outlay.

Lusso and DHB also make very good VFM tights which IMO are a lot better, (though a few quid more than the Ronhills) but if the Ronhills are OK for you, stick with 'em.

Blonde

wafflycat said:
Roubaix tights are much more close fitting than Bikesters. The Roubaix bit refers to the material from which it is made: thermal, brushed lining, four-way stretch - that sort of thing: designed for cold-weather cycling.

Aye indeed. They are warm and snug (sort of fleecy inside, even though they are thin and stretchy) for those cold winter mornings and longer rides. I don't actually feel the cold on my legs much at the time, but without warm tights I have no power and can't go so fast. My legs feel numb/weak - I assume it's 'cos my muscles are cold. Then my legs will ache afterwards - I assume its because I've torn the muscle fibres more than usual when trying to push hard/put some power down when they are too cold.

Top Bottom