England : Lancashire Ronde van oost Lancashire, Sat 30th March 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Watch out riding up through Heptonstall this year - Lee Wood Road (the 'Heptonstall bypass') is closed to traffic due to a collapsed retaining wall so all local traffic is having to go through the village and is causing problems at times.

If I remember, I'll go and stand halfway up The Buttress and take some pictures of the riders going up it!

PaulB

Legendary Member
It passes close to my humble abode so I feel almost compelled to do it. I know that route very well but avoid the cobbled sections wherever possible but when someone sets a challenge like that.....

Garz

Squat Member
OMG it goes into Hebden.. I knew there would be a killer hill involved when I scanned that!

ColinJ

:angry: I would expect the hebden mountain goats to be able to :bicycle: up! :laugh:
Most of them probably still have fully working hearts, lungs and legs though! (Mine are still only working at about 30% of their former effectiveness. :sad:)

I set off up the 30% section and immediately got short of breath, so I had to slow to a gentle stroll rather than my normal brisk walking pace.

ColinJ

Sounds like a solid section to cycle up then Colin. :huh:
I would recommend getting some speed up before hitting the bottom bit. Mind you, it is so steep that I reckon that speed would be stripped away in just a few metres! It would be tempting to try and use brute force to power your way up but if your legs go then you've had it. I would stick it in my granny gear and try to spin my way up.

ColinJ

For some strange reason, I thought it was today! :wacko:

Anyway, I took another hard look at that first section - it's tough!

I think you'd have to be very fit and also fairly skilled to ride all the way up using standard road gearing.

ColinJ

Hmmmm - don't have a granny gear :eek: - I've got 30x28 at the moment and that'd have to be enough to get me up.
I would describe that as a granny gear! I was thinking of people struggling in gears such as 39x27 or 34x25.

Just before I got ill, I had given way to obesity and lack of riding and fitted a 26x28 granny gear to my Basso! Typical that I hardly got any use out of it. Assuming that I eventually make a full recovery, I will be so much lighter that I will not have much need for it. Health-permitting, I will have a go at The Buttress using the 26 ring before putting a 30 back on.

Top Bottom