roof bar cycle racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beachcaster

I am looking to get some roof bars for an estate car and get a couple of roof bar type racks.
can anyone tell me how easy it is to "lock upright" bikes with non
standard frames. Ie some mountain bikes like my Spec Enduro
and bikes with oval cross section frames rather than circular
tubes??

These type of racks would suit me for various reasons
anyone got any experience of them

thanks

barry

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If it's a Golf or Passat estate- I've got a pair of roof bars to fit if you want them...

Jonathan M

Good VFM in terms of roof carriers are the Halfords twin pack - £75 for two.

These are identical to the older Thule design that I've got, and when new these were around £90 new, IIRC. These have the capacity to fit quite large diameter down tubes, I'd be cautious on a really lightweight frame as they are a clamp on the downtube, and over vigorous tightening might not be the best idea. I've had no problems with my bikes though (two Ribble road bikes and a Cove steel MTB).

A mate has a rack (might be an Avenir one, not sure though) that clamps the none drive side crank arm, think he paid about £80 for it. Could be an option if you feel that a standard rack might not accomodate your frame.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Archie_tect said:
If it's a Golf or Passat estate- I've got a pair of roof bars to fit if you want them...

Many thanks for your kind offer...............unfortunately its not:smile:

thanks again

barry

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Jonathan M said:
Good VFM in terms of roof carriers are the Halfords twin pack - £75 for two.

These are identical to the older Thule design that I've got, and when new these were around £90 new, IIRC. These have the capacity to fit quite large diameter down tubes, I'd be cautious on a really lightweight frame as they are a clamp on the downtube, and over vigorous tightening might not be the best idea. I've had no problems with my bikes though (two Ribble road bikes and a Cove steel MTB).

A mate has a rack (might be an Avenir one, not sure though) that clamps the none drive side crank arm, think he paid about £80 for it. Could be an option if you feel that a standard rack might not accomodate your frame.

Thanks for that.......so I take it there is some rubber type protection for the frame that protects it when the "clamp" is tightened.....and that you have enough flexibility to get around areas where there are bottle frames etc.

Incidently the Caravan Club did a review recently on bike racks in their latest magazine and the rooftop Halfords set came out best value for money.

barry

Jonathan M

The clamp does have rubber on the contact areas, obviously on an MTB the issue can be as much to do with mud & crap on the frame damaging paint as much as the clamp itself.

In terms of bottle cages getting in the way, on both my road bikes there isn't a problem with cages being in the way; I don't use a cage on my MTB.

Top Bottom