Roof mounted cycle carriers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

hmmm... I used to have one of these when I had a beemer. And it always used to be a right battle putting it up there! Getting the rack itself on to the roof bars was the worst, 'cos you had to put get two little black plates aligned and then slide them down the rails, which if they weren't completely aligned wouldn't slide on. Then you had to put the bike on, and reach up and tighten the strap round the downtube. YOu then had to tighten the thing on to the rails by the use of three bolts using a special allen key which wasnt' just any old allen key for security purposes, but a special one that you had to not lose :sad:, and if you dind't have 100% concentration on this task you ran the risk of rounding the bolts. Which I did once, and had to get new ones.
It was literally IMPOSSIBLE when it was dark, added to the fact that it was a bit disconcerting driving with it when you can't see your bike.

Just not user friendly enough for my liking for regular use, although other ones e.g. thule might be easier to use.

I used the towbar mounted one that i've got now to transport my bikes to my parents' house and found it an absolute doddle by comparison! Just clamp it on the towbar with a big clamping handle. The bikes are secured onto it in much the same way but it is much easier to do because you aren't reaching 8 foot into the air.

Whatever you do, REMEMBER that your bike's on there!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::angry::rolleyes:
I HAVE read a self-confessed nightmare story on STW of someone having had his bike on the roof of his audi and having driven straight through a height restricted barrier!;):angry: Ripped it off completely, apparently did a lot of damage to the car. i'm sure you don't need me to find the thread to convince you to always think about it!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Always park up where you can open the doors wide. Then stand on the door sill to gain some extra height.
After loading drive for a few miles stop and check everything.

Top Bottom