Roof Rack for Gazelle Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
I'm quite tall but still struggle to lift a heavy MTB onto the roof of a car. i'd go for the towball rack option, or if you have a hatchback, transport it inside the car, with the front wheel off.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Thanks for those tips. I do have a hatchback, but not sure how easy it is to take the front wheel off a Gazelle. Any one done it?

As for the rear bike holders which of the strap on ones do people recommend? If I was going to use one it would be for long distance trips of more than 100 miles so are they ok for this?

Cheers.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jim77 said:
Thanks for those tips. I do have a hatchback, but not sure how easy it is to take the front wheel off a Gazelle. Any one done it?

As for the rear bike holders which of the strap on ones do people recommend? If I was going to use one it would be for long distance trips of more than 100 miles so are they ok for this?

Cheers.

I've done motorway trips of 100, 200 miles, no trouble. Best thing is to strap the rack and bike on, check it all, then stop after 10 miles or so, then check again, and then maybe half way - just in case any of the straps have slipped. In practice, I don't think I've ever checked a rack and found any slippage. I couldn't tell you which make of racks I've used I'm afraid - they were probably just from Halfords or whatever...

Don't think I've taken a front wheel off a Gazelle- I assume it has hub brakes or dynamo? They should be designed to come off ok - after all, if you need to fix a you-know-what....

Will1985

Über Member
We have a Thule Clip On High which has taken bikes from North East Italy to the UK in a day doing 70mph+ on motorways without any problems, and until June my 200 mile to university trips as well.

As Arch says, just stop at intervals to check everything is secure.

Nobody has mentioned yet that for the rear mounted options, you'll almost certainly need a lightboard as well.

Top Bottom