Rookie mistake with Mini-Pump.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

chappers1983

So basically, its the Conti tubes that are the problem more than anything?

My nearby bike shop (I won't refer to it as my LBS as its a major retailer.........) stocks Specialized tubes which I noted someone refer to earlier. Do they all have one-piece valves, or is it a specific type/model I need to get for that. Any other brand of tube come highly recommended?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Don't worry about it - if the valve core is removeable you should be able to see flats - if it is, either get hold of a presta valve core tool (around £1 or so), or a spoke key (see my post above) or even use a chain tool to tighten the core (but don't overdo it!). I carry a spoke key and the no. 12 slot fits. BTW I understand that removeable cores enable you to put 'slime' into your tubes - not that I would ever use the stuff.

Tin Pot

Guru
Out of seven Conti tubes over the winter, 3 have had the cores come out. One came loose weds morning actually. Screwed back in fine.

It's annoying. I've found that leaving the valve caps almost loose helps.

OP
OP
C

chappers1983

Out of seven Conti tubes over the winter, 3 have had the cores come out. One came loose weds morning actually. Screwed back in fine.

It's annoying. I've found that leaving the valve caps almost loose helps.

I'm seeing a theme here. I'd used Conti tubes for years with no problem. Now all of a sudden, thats 3 Cores I've had come out since Xmas.

Schwalbe's are being purchased tomorrow

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Michelin for me. Smooth stem, no threaded collar, and leave the valve cap off anyway.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Nice to learn this as thought it was my error that this kept happening to me last year with same pump. Will have a look for one piece tubes to use instead

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
You can have the same problem for more money with almost all of the Lezyne pumps.

After getting caught out in a similar fashion, I've learned to tighten the valve cores on my spares as soon as I receive them.

That way, its even more embarrassing when you stop to help someone struggling at the side of the road, expertly remove their tyre, locate the hole, patch it for them whilst offering encouraging words about these things always being problematic and not to worry, re-inflate a touch, check tube and tyre are seated well, bring it up to full pressure checking the inline gauge throughout, talking the owner through the steps of finding operational PSI printed on their tyre, and how its not as complex as it looks, then finally, when all is done, removing pump and receiving a sharp appreciative whistle from the empty valve stem.

Its only happened to me three times. I *am* learning.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom