Rookie needs help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KQuinn

Hi Guys,

I am a complete beginner, got my new shiny bike and I am determined to get on the roads asap. I got clipless pedals, and fell in a pile the first chance I got. That was yesterday. I actually hurt myself a good bit. Still went for a lil spin, but now I am scared of it happening again, and keep thinking, that maybe I should get flat pedals, until I get used to the bike and riding in general????

What do you think? Did you guys start on flat pedals, and swapped later when you were more confident, or did you go straight onto clipless? I got the clipless on the advice of a quite experienced cyclist, but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for taking time to read my message, I really hope to get some help here...
x
K

Keith Oates

Janner
If you are a completely new person to cycling then using flat pedals until you feel more confident in riding the bike will probably be a good idea. Then when your are confident in actually riding the bike change back to clipless.

Get flats then convert or spend some time leaning against a lampost and clipping and unclipping before then rolling around the block and very deliberately practising unclipping until it becomes 2nd nature.

nappadang

Über Member
If you've already got pedals and shoes, you'll not have to shell out later on, so that's a bonus. You will appreciate them in time, trust me.
In the short term, I think you're right, a cheap set of flats (possibly with toe clips) would be a better starting point. Build your confidence on the bike then try your clipless set up again.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Hi Guys,

I am a complete beginner, got my new shiny bike and I am determined to get on the roads asap. I got clipless pedals, and fell in a pile the first chance I got. That was yesterday. I actually hurt myself a good bit. Still went for a lil spin, but now I am scared of it happening again, and keep thinking, that maybe I should get flat pedals, until I get used to the bike and riding in general????

What do you think? Did you guys start on flat pedals, and swapped later when you were more confident, or did you go straight onto clipless? I got the clipless on the advice of a quite experienced cyclist, but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for taking time to read my message, I really hope to get some help here...
x
K
I've been cycling for a couple of years now and still use flats. Don't feel you have to use clipless just because everyone else does. A grippy pair of flat pedals and rubber soled shoes give a pretty secure feeling.

Mrs M

Guru
:hello: Hi
I got used to my road bike for a few months then decided to get "proper" shoes and pedals on the advice of LBS. Wanted to get trekking pedals first but the lad in the shop advised to just get on with it, lol, and go for the roadies.
Spent a while indoors clinging onto a wall, sitting on the bike with the saddle down clipping in and out until I got fed up with it.
Went for short rides to build confidence, which helped.
Would not go back to flats now, good luck with whatever you decide.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've been cycling for a couple of years now and still use flats. Don't feel you have to use clipless just because everyone else does. A grippy pair of flat pedals and rubber soled shoes give a pretty secure feeling.
same here and i have been cycling for more years than i now have hairs

ScotiaLass

Guru
I love my flats! I do ride a MTB though :laugh:
I have balance issues so couldn't use a clip system even if I wanted to! I often fall over - it always seems to be at slow speeds!
My flats are very grippy, I can stand up on them and pedal hard, even through rain and mud, and I have never lost my footing.
Go with what you're comfortable with :smile:

Sharky

Guru
Stick with the clipless pedals. Everybody has problems when they first switch and I reckon everybody falls off about 3 times before they master them, so you are a third of the way there. Just start thinking ahead and wear decent gloves and practice stop/starts.

Good luck,
Keith

BigBluey

Think its a right of passage to get stuck in the pedals at least once. Get used to the bike first, and enjoy it find out how it handles. Then when you confident swith over to clipless pedals. Adjust the tension to loose so that it is easier to unclip, you will see a + or - symbol on the pedal.. Lean up against a wall of railing and get used to how they feel clipping in and clipping out. The number 1 rules with clipless pedals is to unclip before you stop. If I see the lights are about to change to red , I will be already unclipped so I can coast up to the lights and safely lower my foot; I
It does take time and the more you use them the tighter you can select the tension. Also keep a constant check the the cleats are tight on the shoes

Peteaud

Veteran
Hi Guys,

x
K

What type of clipless?

Have you made sure the tension is set at the lightest?

Fubar

Guru
As @Sharky says most people have problems with clipless at first - at first I got used to un-clipping every time I pulled on the brakes and after a while it becomes unconscious. Double-sided helps, You should have been able to keep the original pedals so as others have said swap if you are totally uncomfortable. All the best, Mark

Top Bottom