Rooney "unfriendly"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I am reluctant to stir the hornets nest that is football but I read and was struck by this statement from van Gaal the Man Utd manager after Rooney had scythed down an opponent who had outrun him, “I can see why he made the tackle but I think you have to be far friendlier,” he said. “He did it too unfriendly and that is maybe his biggest mistake."
So unless I am reading this wrong a 'professional' foul is acceptable if done in a friendly way, would someone care to explain what that might look like?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A remark truly worthy of the Colemanballs title.

Some of David Coleman’s best Colemanballs:
“That’s the fastest time ever run – but it’s not as fast as the world record.”
“A truly international field, no Britons involved.”

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I am reluctant to stir the hornets nest that is football but I read and was struck by this statement from van Gaal the Man Utd manager after Rooney had scythed down an opponent who had outrun him, “I can see why he made the tackle but I think you have to be far friendlier,” he said. “He did it too unfriendly and that is maybe his biggest mistake."
So unless I am reading this wrong a 'professional' foul is acceptable if done in a friendly way, would someone care to explain what that might look like?
Sure. A trip. Calculated to stop the opponent, but not injure him. Tactical but neither mean nor dangerous. As opposed to, say, a wild hack that will hurt at best, hospitalise at worst.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Sure. A trip. Calculated to stop the opponent, but not injure him. Tactical but neither mean nor dangerous. As opposed to, say, a wild hack that will hurt at best, hospitalise at worst.
To give that a cycling twist, if you are going to edge a competitor off the road, you should wait for a verge lined with something soft.

Top Bottom