Rope tied across cycle path in Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatblokish

Guru
Happens all the time; get over it ;)

Has been a cyclist mugging tactic for quite a while, usually with fishing line instead of rope though.

Cyclist gets knocks off bike, has no idea what has just happened and is in a daze. Before they know it their bike and whatever else is taken.

Unfortunately I can believe it, I've heard of half bricks, etc being thrown at cyclists in that section from Muirhouse to Davidson Main, I'd avoid it and other paths in the dark. The worse I've had though there, is eggs thrown at me but their aim was poor and they hit the poor cyclist behind. In Dublin the neds do it broad daylight making some estates a pernamently no go area for cyclists :-(

D

Deleted member 26715

Some where near Barnsley lads used to ride motorbikes much to peoples annoyance on the old pit top, somebody decided to put a steel rope across a track they used to get there, lad never saw it & when his head was severed from his shoulders never rode a bike again, think he was only 14 or 15.

Alan..

martint235

Dog on a bike
Some where near Barnsley lads used to ride motorbikes much to peoples annoyance on the old pit top, somebody decided to put a steel rope across a track they used to get there, lad never saw it & when his head was severed from his shoulders never rode a bike again, think he was only 14 or 15.

Alan..
Without making light of this issue which is serious, I'd imagine if his head was severed from his shoulders, quite a lot of things wouldn't be done again. Living being top of the list.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The local rag, the Edinburgh Evening News, has lately been stoking up the anti-cycling hatred by making false claims about money been taken from the pot set aside to repair our badly potholed streets in order to build more cycle lanes In HUGE letters, across the whole of the front page. Then a couple of days later the whole of the front page was again one big headline saying that the police were clamping down on red-light jumping cyclists (with repeat offenders to be harshly punished). The actual story inside was that PoliceScotland are having a two-week campaign to tackle bad drivers and cyclists - but that wouldn't stir up the hatred they like to engender, hence the front page.

Unusually, the usual foaming anti-cycling ranters were sympathising and calling for the perpetrators of the rope incident to be punished. However, today somoene's posted a comment claiming it's the cyclist's fault.... *sigh*

The paper's on its last legs anyway, and Edinburgh's cyclists won't be shedding any tears when it's gone.

Top Bottom