Roscoff to Narbonne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

As far as I can see, the EV6 stays on the south side of the Loire so you wouldn't need to cross the bridge towards St-Nazaire mentioned upthread.

It does, but I somehow need to get to Saint Brevin les Pins (which is across the bridge from Saint Nazaire), and apparently the only way to get there from, say, Paris, using public transit, is to get to Saint Nazaire, then either ride across the bridge or take a bus. I'm leaning in favor of taking the bus.

RobinS

Veteran
We did Roscoff - Nantes, out to Atlantic coast, south as far as Arcachon Bay and the Dune du Pilat (well worth a visit, though the campsite at the bottom of it where we stayed burned to the ground this year!), turn left on some nice cycletrails through the forest to Join the "Entre deux Mers" route, which follows the Garonne and Midi canals all the way to the Med. Nice route, mainly off busy roads, plenty of campsites, food shops, and bars/restaurants.

bluenotebob

Veteran
It does, but I somehow need to get to Saint Brevin les Pins (which is across the bridge from Saint Nazaire), and apparently the only way to get there from, say, Paris, using public transit, is to get to Saint Nazaire, then either ride across the bridge or take a bus. I'm leaning in favor of taking the bus.

Yes - I see your dilemma.

FWIW - some thoughts .. fly into Nantes (it's an international airport). If that doesn't work, then fly into Paris and get a train down to Nantes. Base yourself near Nantes airport. Possibilities from here:

Pick up the EV1/EV6 cycle route and head west to St Brevin, come back to Nantes then head E on the EV6 up the Loire.

Cycle to the coast from Nantes airport and then turn N and arrive in St Brevin from the south.

Find a friendly taxi driver who'll take you all to St Brevin from Nantes airport.

Final option - there are some railway lines shown on my map which could get you close to St Brevin from Nantes airport.

I really would avoid St Nazaire and that bridge, if I were you. I don't know about urban buses taking bikes - but the rural ones here (I'm 2 hours' drive N of Nantes) don't take bikes.

If there's anything I can help with - just ask.

RobinS

Veteran
Just to add as well, there is a cycle shuttle service over the St Nazaire bridge, but it doesn't start until 27th June, fine if you go summer, not so good for early season.
You can cycle the bridge, there is a cycle lane, just more UK style than French - fine at a quiet time, not so good if traffic heavy.
Next option is a taxi - it should be about 20 euros to get a taxi to take two of you with bikes across.
Next, cycle inland to Coueron, ferry to Les Pelerins, then cycle back to St Brevin - this would add 100km, and you would then have to reverse the Les Pelerins/St Brevin bit.
Or what I would do if transport to St Nazaire was the only option, just cycle east from there, you would just bethe other side of the Loire estuary from the normal route - and to be honest, few of us ever exactly follow routes all the way anyway.

Top Bottom