Rotherhithe Tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wooo, my first time through there yesterday. Bit stinky inside, but it was a fun ride. At one point I was doing 25 (20 speed limit), and had WVM breathing down my rear, I hope he got zapped by the camera!

walker

I didn't think bike's were allowed down there? even so, your braver than me, far to tight for me to even consider it.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
What time of day was it and what were you riding BM?

I've tried it once, late at night when all the exhaust fumes had collected at the bottom with no traffic thru draft to keep it moving.
TBH I turned back and went south over Tower Bridge instead, the views are also nicer.

benjus

I've only been through it once - didn't find it too bad. I'd have no problem using it if necessary but it wouldn't be my route of choice. I'm pretty sure there's no rule against cycling through it - although the Blackwall tunnel is off-limits to cyclists.

ChrisKH

Guru
benjus said:
I've only been through it once - didn't find it too bad. I'd have no problem using it if necessary but it wouldn't be my route of choice. I'm pretty sure there's no rule against cycling through it - although the Blackwall tunnel is off-limits to cyclists.

I recall my father saying he had used the Blackwall tunnel as a youngster and although he shot through it, he had an enormous headache for the next hour.
He's now in a home with a degenerative brain disease. It does make you wonder.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Thats a very scarey thought ChrisKH, my best wishes to your Father he sounds like he was quite the dashing blade in his time!

Pollution in SE London is some of the worst in the Capital and we have some of the highest rates for childhood asthma as well.

I got bitten by the bike bug when I was living in Deptford and after 3 years I kept getting chest infections and bronchial nonsenses during the winter. My Doctor diagnosed me with Asthma and gave me all the inhalers etc.

A year or two later I moved up to Crystal palace and within a year I found all my asthma symptoms had faded away.

ChrisKH

Guru
tdr1nka said:
Thats a very scarey thought ChrisKH, my best wishes to your Father he sounds like he was quite the dashing blade in his time!

Yes, he was. He thought nothing of doing London-Brighton and back at a weekend I'm told. Before Mum & Dad married he used to regularly ride to/from Canvey Island from Greenwich to keep an eye on a house being built there for them which must be a 60-70 miler. He didn't have a car until the late 60's.

MER Veteran

I've been through there once or twice with the cycling club and it was just like putting exhaust fumes in a bag then breathing them in.Yuk.

Of course I was young and innocent then.
2dsqtrp.gif

historyman

I saw a play once at Blackheath Age Exchange about people cycling to Brighton and back for the day in the 1930s.
Here in the 'pule, I've never cycled through either of the Mersey tunnels but met a judge who has. He said, 'it's not as bad as you think'.

Travelled thro this yesterday. Brother lives in Rotherhithe and works in Wapping. He normally gets the boat to work (cool or what?),but came with me through the tunnel.

Awful or what? Theres no way I'd cycle that. When its not busy it's far too narrow. When it is busy its stopped traffic and pretty unbreathable.

Thames path and London bridge, I gather are preferable?

handsome joe

Why not try the Hilton Ferry from Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf. Last time i went on it they charged me £2. Quick, easy and nice view of the River. On the South side you just walk through the Hotel. I got a few looks in my shorts etc. Its not about how much money you have got is it?

About 8 Months ago i caught a Chest Infection and my body is still recovering. My Doctor has told me i will have Ashma like symtoms due to the lining of my lungs being so damaged. He could not tell me if or when i will get back to full health. So i try to keep away from places and substances that irrate......that usually means everywhere.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
cheadle hulme said:
Awful or what? Theres no way I'd cycle that. When its not busy it's far too narrow. When it is busy its stopped traffic and pretty unbreathable.

Yeah, it isn't very pleasant, that's for sure. What do you mean by too narrow though?

Top Bottom