rotor warping on disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
With a single sided caliper you need to be adjusting the static pad inward as it wears to maintain good brake performance. There should be an adjuster on the side of the calliper where you can insert a hex key and adjust the pad. You may have to remove the rear wheel to do that end of the bike which makes it a bit of a trial and error process. Just another piece of poor modern bike design that I love.

Don’t get me started on carbon frames.

yes i know how to adjust my brakes , i check them every time i wash the bike and today i even had to move the whole caliper as it was rubbing one side even on max clearance .Dont even get me started on the front one that has to be reset every time i take the wheel out .👍

Ajax Bay

Guru
I also prefer Suntour Cyclone over Campagnolo Nuevo Record.
Don’t get me started on carbon frames.
Please start on carbon frames. Nothing like a good thread derail to keep everyone happy and gives us the chance to learn.
I confess surprise that, with your implied familiarity with mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes, you keep the tandem rim-braked: for the challenge, I expect, and to keep Frau Fritz thrilled.
It's Nuovo Record btw, well that's the speeling on my RD.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Please start on carbon frames. Nothing like a good thread derail to keep everyone happy and gives us the chance to learn.
I confess surprise that, with your implied familiarity with mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes, you keep the tandem rim-braked: for the challenge, I expect, and to keep Frau Fritz thrilled.
It's Nuovo Record btw, well that's the speeling on my RD.

Sorry about the horrid spelling… never my strong point… that and I was too lazy to head out to the garage and read it off the back end of the bike.

Carbon… *sign*… my opinions on the subject are not popular where I currently work (Trek!) but after 30 plus years in the manufacture of automotive components in plastics, mostly bearings and seals, I have some pretty strong opinions on the uses, and over uses, of plastics.

Carbon fibre frames, like fibreglass boats, cannot be recycled in an economically sound or environmentally friendly way. They will live their relatively short lives and then be committed to the garbage heap to become yet another part of the nasty crap with which we are contaminating this world. They should simply be banned as unnecessary and we should learn to live with metal frames and wheels.

There… I’ve kicked the door open… have at it!

vickster

Legendary Member
yes i know how to adjust my brakes , i check them every time i wash the bike and today i even had to move the whole caliper as it was rubbing one side even on max clearance .Dont even get me started on the front one that has to be reset every time i take the wheel out .👍

look for some TRP Spyres :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You go 40mph down hill on a tandem?? You are pretty brave!!

been there, done that and stopped it fine with Avid BB7's, which I think we single piston. I recall doing the winding in adj as the pads wore and setting them up with a business card spacer.

mind you the cheap disc brakes it came with were absolutely pants, so upgraded to bigger rotors and BB7s and slung an extra stoker operated V brake on the rear too.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sorry about the horrid spelling… never my strong point… that and I was too lazy to head out to the garage and read it off the back end of the bike.

Carbon… *sign*… my opinions on the subject are not popular where I currently work (Trek!) but after 30 plus years in the manufacture of automotive components in plastics, mostly bearings and seals, I have some pretty strong opinions on the uses, and over uses, of plastics.

Carbon fibre frames, like fibreglass boats, cannot be recycled in an economically sound or environmentally friendly way. They will live their relatively short lives and then be committed to the garbage heap to become yet another part of the nasty crap with which we are contaminating this world. They should simply be banned as unnecessary and we should learn to live with metal frames and wheels.

There… I’ve kicked the door open… have at it!

So where do you stand on the carbon disc brake debate?

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
So where do you stand on the carbon disc brake debate?

Don’t you have to get those things stinking hot before they work properly?

FishFright

More wheels than sense

They sound like some the callipers I had to sort out when at the bike recycling centre . I'd get rid and upgrade to something that actually works

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have TRP Spyres on a QR wheeled bike (and I had the same before on two other bikes), so not sure why that’s an issue?

it was in response to @FishFright , with single piston and qr the rotor never centres the same even when using the brake on the front when reinserting the wheel so if your rotor is warped you need to readjust the brakes so it doesnt rub .

Top Bottom