Rotrax finished!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I guess the purists among you may be tutting, because it doesn't look much like a 1949 bike any more.
Here's why I took the route I did:
The vendor had this frame labelled as 1960's, which is why it has been stickered as such by the refinisher. Subsequent researching of the frame number reveals 1949 manufacture.
Frame no 49458, the first two digits denote year.
I think therefore that the decals are wrong for the actual year of manufacture, being of the later style.

I then thought about what I want from the bike once finished. Do I want a museum piece, or something to ride?
Of course I'm gonna ride it, and it's hilly around these parts.
Apart from anything else, anyone tried to source circa 1950 parts, in decent or restorable condition? If you can find the parts the prices are crippling. Also, stuff didn't perform as well back in those days. Eg. narrow choice of gears and crap brakes.

So, decision made, I'll build it up using decent kit, but no more recent than mid 1980's. At least I'll retain the "vintage" riding experience.
For the hills around here I decided that a triple chainwheel could be an asset. I had to cold set the rear dropouts from 115mm to 120mm so that I could fit a 6 speed freewheel. The Campy Chorus derailleurs work nicely too.
I won a nice Galli brake set on the auction. Unfortunately the calipers don't have enough drop :cursing:. Mental note to check more carefully before I buy calipers again.
So I bought some GB Courer calipers which do have enough drop, so at least I have some braking now.

I'm pleased with the finished article. It's nice to ride and I can use it around here.

ETA: And then there was the bottom bracket. Some odd thread that I couldn't identify and research came up empty too. May have been summat exclusive to Chater Lea, but that's guessing. Threadless BB to the rescue!

Don't sweat it. It looks great. I'd rather see it alive, being used, but in the wrong spec than being chopped up and recycled.

Drago

Legendary Member
PS, I'm liking the avatar.

Looks great. I owned a Rotrax for some years. Bought it off an old chap who used to TT on it. I ended up rebuilding it and doing many miles on it including a tour in Brittany and one in Scotland. To my eternal regret I let it go to ruin during a busy period of my life and donated it. I wish I still had it, great frames.

crop0014 copy.jpg

Here it is in 1993. Mine was a rattle can respray, nowhere near the quality of your restoration. Have fun with it.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Looks great. I owned a Rotrax for some years. Bought it off an old chap who used to TT on it. I ended up rebuilding it and doing many miles on it including a tour in Brittany and one in Scotland. To my eternal regret I let it go to ruin during a busy period of my life and donated it. I wish I still had it, great frames.

View attachment 423574
Here it is in 1993. Mine was a rattle can respray, nowhere near the quality of your restoration. Have fun with it.
Thanks.
Nice tale and pity you don't have it now.
I can see me clinging on to mine.

Top Bottom