Rotrax Super Course 1949. Build up - looking for thoughts and ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Having bought the frame and fork already refinished to a good standard, I am now embarking on the adventure of putting together a bike I can ride and be proud of.
My initial thoughts: As the frame has been refinished there's no patina to preserve, so it seems a bit pointless to try sourcing original parts, which will most likely be worn/rusty/unobtainable.
Alternatively, I could fit components from the 60's 70's 80's era, which would retain the spirit of "vintage".
I've already ordered a generic chrome headset, alloy seat post, and a new Brooks B17 (courtesy of Halfords current generous price).
Early obstacle: I'm not sure of the bottom bracket threading. I know it's not standard English, and I have a suspicion it could be Chater Lea, which is nigh impossible to find.
I'm inviting suggestions from you knowledgeable lot, to see if there's stuff I haven't thought of.

The previous owner sent me before and after photos:
Before.jpeg

After.jpeg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's a good before picture

Looks like it was sturmey archer equipped so why not use one of them ?

Trying to source correct period parts could be expensive , it might be easier to buy a donor bike and transfer bits over

could you not go with a threadless bottom bracket ?

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
That's a good before picture

Looks like it was sturmey archer equipped so why not use one of them ?

Trying to source correct period parts could be expensive , it might be easier to buy a donor bike and transfer bits over

could you not go with a threadless bottom bracket ?

If you look closely at the gear selector, it's labelled BSA. Did BSA produce 3 speed hubs?
I thought about going the same route, but I'd struggle riding it around here because it's very hilly.
I wondered whether to fit a 5 speed freewheel & derailleur, with a triple chainset for a decent range of gears.
Rear OLN is 115mm.
I've tried contacting Tim at Rotrax for some info, but no reply as yet.
I can see that threadless BB will probably end up as the only option.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
ok why not use the sturmey archer with 2 rear gears as per my My 50's Raleigh Roadster It works well and gets me up all the hills i have come against locally .

I thought about building my Dayton the same way but have settled on a single speed set up .

If you want a triple crank set up i have a 70's Motorbecane alloy triple crankset ?

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
ok why not use the sturmey archer with 2 rear gears as per my My 50's Raleigh Roadster It works well and gets me up all the hills i have come against locally .

I thought about building my Dayton the same way but have settled on a single speed set up .

If you want a triple crank set up i have a 70's Motorbecane alloy triple crankset ?

Thanks for the offer, but I just hit the BIN button on a Stronglight triple at what I thought was a very good price.

I thought more about the Sturmey Archer route, but I have gradients around here up to 20% so I think a triple chainring would be better.
I did the Eroica 60 mile ride the other weekend which was quite hilly, and a bit of a struggle on the Claud Butler with a 45" gear!

Top Bottom