rotterdam europort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulrw

When arriving off the boat is it fairly straightforward to find the cycle path does anyone know.? I am heading for Breda and apparently should follow LF 12 and LF11. Has anyone recent experience of this and could give me advice. Thanks.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Not of that route but I cycled from Rotterdam to Hoek van Holland on Tuesday and I have to say I was glad of my Garmin as a backup as the signs, although plentiful, weren't always absolutely clear and I went wrong several times.

I would recommend also furnishing yourself with a map!

OP
OP
P

paulrw

I have some maps but nothing too detailed; I tend to avoid really detailed stuff cos' I worry too much about being exactly right. In my short (very short) touring life, I have relied on asking. Problem this time is I definitely do not speak the language.I appreciate your advice and I must say I enjoyed your account of your trip. I really just want to head off in the right direction ! I have booked a B&B in Ulvenhout just south of Breda and have all day to get there,although I'm sure the last bit will be difficult and involve asking a lot. Do or did you speak German ? I am using the Vrienden de Fiets book to book the B & B's, any good ?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
You won't have any problems with language in Holland as pretty much everyone speaks excellent English. However you might find a few difficulties with road signs - if you speak German that should help (for example, there were some diversions on my cycle route and the instructions were only in Dutch - it looks similar enough to German for me to understand, although I can't understand spoken Dutch at all).

I do speak pretty decent German which helped a lot with my tour - however in Holland you really won't have language difficulties as you might in, say, Germany if you didn't speak the language.

No idea about the B&B book as I only cycled 22 miles in Holland. However in Germany I found that every place I stayed was pretty decent and although I had the Bett & Bike book (cycle friendly accommodation) I didn't really need that as all the places seemed cycle friendly, if that helps.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You will be in Holland!!! Its a brilliant place. Pretty much all of the people are very very friendly, and speak pretty good English, and dont mind helping you out!!
If you need, just go up and ask someone, and they will flip into English and tell you what you need.
We've had many nice chats with Dutch people, and one Dutch person that was driving along, saw us in our car lost and looking at a map. She got out(it was pouring down with rain) and asked us where we needed to go. We told her, she said to follow her and she would show us. So off we went, she got out again to ask if we wanted to park(rain was pretty damn heavy) then drove us to the super market we were looking for.
It was abit confusing in Delft as to where we needed to go to get to this super market, and were very thankful of her help.
The Dutch are amazing:becool: And they have all been just as helpful where ever we have gone.
Pointing at a word and trying to say it has helped me many times. They pointed me in the direction i needed and told me how to say it.

OP
OP
P

paulrw

I am sure that the Dutch will sort me out judging from previous trips (non cycling) to Holland. I just want to set off the right way ! Germany and Austria will be different. I know many people speak English, but my previous experience in France tells me that a good grasp on the language is a big help. My French is quite good. Unfortunately my German is reaally not on the scale. I'm afraid I just don't get it. Perhaps it's an age thing but I really struggle with the words. In France it was all about finding the right person to ask. I suspect the same stategy might be the answer i.e. someone who is helpful and speaks English !

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Ah, so are you going to Germany as well as Holland then?

If you're doing Germany and doing the main tourist routes you will manage OK, I would say, although probably only a quarter of the people you meet will speak decent English. Austria, again, will be variable depending on whether you're in a non-touristy village (I sometimes visit Saalfelden in Austria where very few people speak English) or somewhere with more foreign visitors.

I do think that a good grasp of the language does help, as you say. That's why I didn't do much cycling in Holland - I just don't like not knowing what's going on around me. But if you can cope with having to ask a few people before you find an English speaker, you will do OK I imagine.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
paulrw said:
I am sure that the Dutch will sort me out judging from previous trips (non cycling) to Holland. I just want to set off the right way ! Germany and Austria will be different. I know many people speak English, but my previous experience in France tells me that a good grasp on the language is a big help. My French is quite good. Unfortunately my German is reaally not on the scale. I'm afraid I just don't get it. Perhaps it's an age thing but I really struggle with the words. In France it was all about finding the right person to ask. I suspect the same stategy might be the answer i.e. someone who is helpful and speaks English !

Nah, just ask anyone. I do.
We even went into Rotterdam and guided our way around with a small map book, signs, and just asking random people on the street. Its great. Same when we have been to most places in Holland.
In Germany and France the people werent as helpful. Belgium about the same really(If im remembering right, some countries might be mixed up in my memory!)
Now, when we were in Prague the people there were helpful. There was this old woman.....................

OP
OP
P

paulrw

Well Thanks for all your comments and advice. I guess there's no way of predicting it anyway. I'll ask and ask and get on somehow I'm sure. IT's always a bit different on your own, better and worse at the same time ,and I think I'm just having a few last minute nerves ! I leave a week on Tuesday and I think I'll just concentrate on putting a few miles in gradually and make sure the tent and stuff is ok. I do appreciate your input. Thanks.

MockCyclist

From Europort you head east to Rozenburg then on to Hoogvliet to pick up LF12.

LF12 cross the Oude Maas river at Zwijndrecht; the problem is that the cycle ferry only operates at peak crossing hours, or at least it did when I wanted to cross a few weeks ago. I had to continue to Dordrecht through some grotty industrial area.

If I was going that way again I would leave LF12 at the A29 road crossing (cycle path as well) and pick up LF12 at Puttershoek.

I wouldn't worry about language in the Netherlands. They are indeed exceptionally helpful, and almost everyone speaks English - though not all of the more elderly. Just seek out the youngsters.

Will1962

paulrw said:
Thanks Will, but it's all dutch to me ! Can you translate ?

Just click on the 'zoom in' at the top of the window and then click where you want to zoom in. Each time you click at a point, it zooms in more (click 'zoom out' and click in the window to zoom out again).

All of the red lines you see are the LF routes. Once you zoom in a bit, it shows the LF number for the route. Click on 'print kaart' at the bottom to get a print out.

Will

Top Bottom