roughly how many miles per chain re-lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Strictly only dry use, Muc Off C3 dry lube: Roughly how many miles between each re-lubing of chain? Thanks.

Difficult to say, it depends on how dusty the roads are. Even "dry" lube attracts some dust.

mustang1

Guru
Uhm, while i commuted, during wet weather (inknownyounasked for dry but bear with me), i lubed every 200km (1 week riding for me).

During dry weather, inreckon every 800km (4 weeks riding for me).

But the thing is, we never got a full 4 weeks of dry weather so i never left it that late.

And heres another caveat: the more worm my chain got, the more frequenly i applied the lube. For a brand new chain, sure i coils go up to 800km without lubing but as it wore (or was it that the original lube that came witth the chain got used up?), i applied every, say, 200km.

Most of the time, applying libe meant cleaning it first but on the odd occasion i just wiped it quickly and applied libe when i coild not be bothered.

So, in summary, for dry weather on a new chain: 800km.
Or, same conditions with a slightly worn chain, 200km.

C R

Guru
When it looks as though it needs doing.

Before it sounds as though it needs doing.

I assume when you can’t see it ? C3 is UV luminescent and comes with a small UV torch, the point is that you can see the stuff on the chain. But i would always apply it before every ride.

Twilkes

Guru
I assume when you can’t see it ? C3 is UV luminescent and comes with a small UV torch, the point is that you can see the stuff on the chain. But i would always apply it before every ride.

Isn't lube supposed to be inside the rollers, not on the outside of the chain? With wet lube you're supposed to let it soak in and then wipe off all you can from the outside. Ideally you should be able to touch the chain and not get any gunk on your finger, although this only happens with my bikes if I touch the photo on the retailer's website. :smile:

Top Bottom