Round the world tandem attempt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

View: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-61411110

Obvs not sponsored by Gillette!

Large height difference to!

Wish them luck!

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Myself and Mrs T are a similar height difference, but I obviously need to work on the facial hair to improve our distances.

Worth following their social meeja - there are some occasional hilarious updates (loved the electrical tape conservation tips).

Like Ian, I know them from AUK - first met them outside a tiny corner shop in Hay-on-Wye. A great pair of characters!

I also saw this on BBC video, came up after the 100carriage swiss train record.

they appear to be on track, almost across Canada with just Spain to Berlin to go afterwards
https://www.stelatandem.com/route/

That confused me - Canada? Straight to Spain?? - so I opened the link; the original plan was to cross the USA (no Canada - or perhaps just a quick dip?).
So they've moved their North American route considerably northwards. Anyone know why? Hotter weather than anticipated?

@Jameshow thanks for posting.

Trying for an official world record adds a whole lot of complications to a long trip like that.

So they've moved their North American route considerably northwards. Anyone know why?

There have been serious wildfires in the Northwest States and extreme heat and other weather conditions in large parts of the continent.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Trying for an official world record adds a whole lot of complications to a long trip like that.

I can imagine it also sucks some of the exploring joy out of it, i.e. cant explore more here as need to crack on and get 100 miles done.

I was just looking at the "rules" which are obviously slightly odd to cater for cycling around something that is mainly covered in water.

Guinness rules[edit]​

The rules state "the journey should be continuous and in one direction (East to West or West to East), that the minimum distance ridden should be 18,000 miles (29,000 km), and that the total distance travelled by the bicycle and rider should exceed an Equator's length, i.e. 24,900 miles (40,100 km)." They also state that: "Any considerable distance travelled opposite to the direction of the attempt must be discounted from any calculations of the overall distance travelled," and that the route "must be ridden through two approximate antipodal points."

Which pretty much means unless you go thru South America, Spain and NZ need to be on your route to pick up the antipodal points.

Which pretty much means unless you go thru South America, Spain and NZ need to be on your route to pick up the antipodal points.

Could you use the North and South Poles instead?

:P

Yes. It's actually quite restrictive.

I can't imagine a "World Tour" that includes the USA & Canada (hardly an unknown quantity to Europeans) but excludes Latin America.

The fact of the matter is that with climate/weather conditions and terrain there is effectively one route to follow if you want to attempt a record. For a round the world bike ride that seems incredibly restrictive.

I understand the urge some people have to click up a record (and had the pleasure of bumping into a RTW record holder) but it's completely not my idea of a bike trip^_^

That's not to take away in any sense from what this couple are aiming to achieve. A couple, on a tandem, racing the clock, raising money for charity - that's a huge number of spinning plates to keep control of. Even transporting the tandem will have its challenges. Not to mention the travel chaos, border restrictions and lack of components brought on by COVID as well as the risk of falling ill. COVID on a bike will not be fun!

It really is a remarkable undertaking.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It really is a remarkable undertaking.

Absolutely, its an amazing achievement. Even getting several different airline to fly an tandem is a truimph. I think from photo it's its S&S coupled, but still finding bags or boxes etc must be fun!

If you want to set a record, south america isn't the easiest with some geo-graph/log-ical challenges of the Amazon and Andes limiting E-W or W-E mileage routes, plus now Russia, China and Iran are pretty much off limits now, so yes pretty much NA / Euro / ANZAC jaunt with Turkey, Georgia, India, Thailand & Malaysia thrown in, which whilst fantastic in itself has missed out some more exotic jaunts.

Although I'm not really in as strong a position to comment as you, as I've booked a part supported Newcastle to Edinburgh next year staying in B&B's :laugh:

Although I'm not really in as strong a position to comment as you, as I've booked a part supported Newcastle to Edinburgh next year staying in B&B's :laugh:

Edinburgh is lovely!

My first tour was a package deal - fully supported - along the Danube and I was terrified on the first day of not being able to reach my destination - 40km along a (flat) river! ^_^

We all start somewhere (and that's usually the hardest part!). Where we end up is down to ourselves.

Have a great trip and maybe consider heading over to the Travelogue and writing it up.
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/member-travelogues.46/

Best of luck!

@Jameshow you might consider popping a link up in the Touring Forum? I've just had a read of their latest blog post and it's very entertaining

Top Bottom