roundabout crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elvisparsley

Hello
How are we all? I had a bit of a prang last week on Worsley roundabout due to me foolishly turning the wheel too much and stopping the bike so toppling over onto it whilst still clipped in. A basic error, though I protest that a freak gust of wind did it. Luckily no lorries (or even cars) ran over my prostrate form. Having recovered, I noticed that on my Giant SCR my left-hand handlebar is twisted inwards just short of the brake hoods. It is in fact really ergonomically comfortable but seems ridiculous. Any idea how I can fix this problem? I have a hammer.

stevenb

To be honest it is better to change your bar.
Once it's taken a reasonably heavy blow like that it has weakened in its integrity.
The cost of heating it up and straightening it properly would outweight the cost of a new bar.
You could try and re-jig it into shape but is it worth the risk?:evil:

What stevenb says. When components are damaged, they can fail catastrophically under stress - when you're pulling away from the lights, or swerving around someone. Replace it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You can't straighten aluminium without significantly weakening it, I would replace. Assuming you have ergonomically shaped bars these are very prone to bending at the elbow just below the brake lever, even in a minor spill.

OP
OP
elvisparsley

elvisparsley

Thanks all for your advice- that appears to be a unanimous vote to replace the bars then. Since I know little about handlebars, can anyone recommend a bar? I haven't much money to spend. Is it easy to replace this myself?

stevenb

elvisparsley said:
Thanks all for your advice- that appears to be a unanimous vote to replace the bars then. Since I know little about handlebars, can anyone recommend a bar? I haven't much money to spend. Is it easy to replace this myself?

If you removed the handlebar tape you'll see the position of the levers. Do this when you have your new bar ready so you know where they should fit.
Maybe some new handlebar tape will be required too?
Temporarily tape the brake cables against the handlebar before you wind on the handlebar tape again and peel off the tape holding the cable as you get to it.

You should be able to easily cut a length of handlebar tape by copying your current length and then wind it on loose first to get an idea before going for the permanent fitting.

Take your time doing it....spend a good couple of hours or so at it so that you don't have to start again if you rush about.:biggrin:

Joe

Über Member
User259iroloboy said:
Cinelli vai, good reports and not overpricey either at around £20 or under.
I've just got a set of these as an upgrade for my old non anatomic bars. Not fitted them yet but they look and feel quality:biggrin: They are matt black rather than the gloss they appeared to be in the photo, but you can't go wrong for the price!

02GF74

Über Member
if they wer steel, you could bend them back.

aluminium is not too cleaver when it comes to bending it. you're gonna have to bite the bullet and purshse new bars - better than biting the tarmac!

stephec

Legendary Member
It wasn't one of the roundabouts near the Novotel was it? If it was you're lucky not to have something roll over you as they alwalys seem to be full of traffic.

I live just up the road from there in Walkden, and I sometimes have to get off onto the pavement and push accross the slip road going onto the M60 on the bottom roundabout :biggrin:

Not nice roads to be riding on.

OP
OP
elvisparsley

elvisparsley

Yes it was the one with the sliproad to M60 southbound. So full of traffic it was stood still, so nothing ran over my head. Thank the Lord it was so busy! An awful route I agree- avoiding lorries, whilst going uphill, on a roundabout- but I can't really avoid it as I have to ride up to Bolton every morning. A car or a new job I think!

Top Bottom