Roundabout Lane Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

How good is your sprinting and acceleration? Can you accelerate onto the island faster than the car in the lane next to you?

Can you get up through the gears while you are standing up on the pedals?

OP
OP
T

taxing

jimboalee said:
How good is your sprinting and acceleration? Can you accelerate onto the island faster than the car in the lane next to you?

Can you get up through the gears while you are standing up on the pedals?

I doubt it, am I supposed to be as fast as a car?!

Only having one gear is a bit of an impediment to changing gears.

jimboalee

taxing said:
I doubt it, am I supposed to be as fast as a car?!

Only having one gear is a bit of an impediment to changing gears.

It has been proven that a cyclist can be quicker than an unsuspecting motorist over 25ft.

I think you'd best leave busy traffic gyratories well alone and walk your bike across the pedestrian crossings.

Having a Single speed bike, you can either :-

Accelerate quick to 10mph and then stay there,
Accelerate moderately to 15mph and cruise, or
Accelerate slowly to 20mph and struggle with the high gear.

None of these is recommended for riding around a multi lane gyratory.

GrasB

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Having a Single speed bike, you can either :-

Accelerate quick to 10mph and then stay there,
Accelerate moderately to 15mph and cruise, or
Accelerate slowly to 20mph and struggle with the high gear.
Okay it does depend on the rider this but there's no reason why a rider can't accelerate rather quickly on a 75-80" gear from a few mph to >20mph. I'll admit 0-2mph or so is very hard work.

jimboalee

GrasB said:
Okay it does depend on the rider this but there's no reason why a rider can't accelerate rather quickly on a 75-80" gear from a few mph to >20mph. I'll admit 0-2mph or so is very hard work.

Its that standing at the dotted white line to 5 mph that IS the problem with most OTP single speed and fixed gear bikes.

jimboalee

I've ridden a few Single speed bikes. It is where the art of 'merging' is learned.
Look ahead, see the gap, point and squirt. Avoid stopping at all costs ( well, nearly all ).

Now I look back in retrospect and have to say "Its the kind of riding that gets cyclists a bad name and hated".

jimboalee

I was riding this bike. There was a fire engine infront of me, a helicopter behind me and the pedestrians were rushing past at ever such a speedy rate. It was really enjoyable.
Then, we all came to a halt. A bloke walked over to me and said "50p for another ride sonny, or get off the roundabout".

;)

GrasB

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Its that standing at the dotted white line to 5 mph that IS the problem with most OTP single speed and fixed gear bikes.
Yeah that first bit is hard but it's nothing that can't be overcome. On my favoured 49/15 or 79" gear (I run 650x23c tyres FYI), I'm usually the fastest away from the lights by a reasonable margin in terms of space & speed. The biggest thing I find is preparation, torquing the bike up against the brakes then releasing them to go gets over most of that initial slowness to the point that within 3 pedal stroke I'm ahead of all but the strongest riders off the line.

Hull's not bad for cycling really. Even on a single speed. There are plenty of single and old fashioned 3 speeds knocking around.

The roundabout in question isn't so bad as the radius isn't all that so the turn is quite pronounced, preventing it being a really fast roundabout

jimboalee said:
I was riding this bike. There was a fire engine infront of me, a helicopter behind me and the pedestrians were rushing past at ever such a speedy rate. It was really enjoyable.
Then, we all came to a halt. A bloke walked over to me and said "50p for another ride sonny, or get off the roundabout".

:biggrin:

That's nowt...get a load of this close pass today!
Anybody know the guy's name and who to complain to? :smile:

30xkkk3.jpg

Top Bottom