Roundabout scenario...what would you have done...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:
It's entirely possible that the other cyclist would have been on the roundabout before the OP and thus the OP would have had to give way.
and if the cyclists is already on the round about, going like a bat out of hell then this situation is void due to there being no possibilty of a collision (taking the other cyclists doesn't slow down to a snails pase)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Origamist, except I was responding to Gaz's post, which suggests a slightly different scenario:
gaz said:
if there is nothing coming from your right, then you go on the roundabout,

I simply wanted to point out that it's not as clear cut as giving way to the right only.

gaz said:
and if the cyclists is already on the round about, going like a bat out of hell then this situation is void due to there being no possibilty of a collision (taking the other cyclists doesn't slow down to a snails pase)

Gaz, yes, that's one possible scenario. Another is if the OP is going faster than the other cyclist, but is further back from the roundabout.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Origamist, except I was responding to Gaz's post, which suggests a slightly different scenario:

I simply wanted to point out that it's not as clear cut as giving way to the right only.

Ok, you confused me by mentioning the OP - you're talking about a different hypothetical situation where you give way to circulating traffic...

Back to the OP: the problem wih the RaB in question is that there is very little deflection (east to west) and as such, traffic is not compelled to slow.

GrasB

Veteran
Trust no one, go tight to the right as possible on roundabout & try to give the hard charging cyclist space. Got kick? I'd go for a sprinters special if I had something in the tank as well.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:

Gaz, yes, that's one possible scenario. Another is if the OP is going faster than the other cyclist, but is further back from the roundabout.

ok got where your coming from now :blush:

Origamist

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Yell to the approaching cyclist because you can better judge what they will do rather then the motorist behind you. Also have a quick check over to your right to see if there is any space you can go into if said cyclist comes out.

Exactly. A warning in this situation is worthwhile as an attention-grabbing shout can lead to some last second road space negotiation(!), putting you both in a stronger position to avoid a sticky situation.

thomas

the tank engine
I'd probably yell a "woah" to the cyclist, but be ready to stop/swerve quickly if they couldn't. The car behind. Well, hopefully they would realise. However, if I could avoid an accident and risk another, that has to be better than just letting the cyclist crash into you in case the car driver doesn't realise.

Ultimately...in these situation it doesn't really matter what I say I would do, or what you think you should do...it just happens.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I would have probably yelled:
"You, you fat cyclist in that lycra, your bike is crap"
Im sure that would get his attention.
Really, i would have sped up, sprinted past his path. If he hit you, then its his fault, not giving way to you. If he didnt hit you, he would probably end up coming close to the car, or hitting the car, and not you, which is fine.
OR, i would have pulled out my trusty gun, and shot him down(if i have any shots left from shooting all the other car drivers and pedestrians that have annoyed me/looked like/were about to do something dangerous)

Origamist

Legendary Member
Joe24 said:
Really, i would have sped up, sprinted past his path. If he hit you, then its his fault, not giving way to you. If he didnt hit you, he would probably end up coming close to the car, or hitting the car, and not you, which is fine.

Disappointing - I thought you would have bunny-hopped the cyclist, Joe.

smeg

Joe24 said:
Really, i would have sped up, sprinted past his path. If he hit you, then its his fault, not giving way to you.
I don't know about you but I wouldn't want some lycra-clad pillock colliding into me at speed because he was pretending he was in the TdF even if he was the one in the wrong.

OP
OP
Twanger

Twanger

Über Member
fossyant said:
So the OP has done one..come on Twanger...NINE hours for an answer...tisk...I have no patience...

Bye...............;)

I grovel in shame.....had a rush at work AND people round for dinner last night, so I didn't perform the promised thread maintenance.

Apologies.

Actually, I braked instinctively - and the car behind me did likewise (he was also signalling off the RaB at the point and I saw him slow out of the corner of my eye.).

It's not important. I posted out of frustration more than anything else. I was just having a whine - though I was interested to see if there was any other way out people might have come up with. I feel that continuing round the 'bout would have been dangerous as it would have been an unsignalled lane change for me at that point. Am I right there?

Over the past week my pleasure in cycling has been diminished by thoughtless, selfish road use. This guy (who was in every respect a "Lycra Lout") was a case in point. That RaB at Millbank is one you have to take slowly...apart from anything else, there are zebra crossings at all exits.

Last night I suffered:

1. Being pushed into the kerb at the Lambeth side of lambeth bridge by a car (And I was in the dedicated cycle lane - and so eventually was the car!)
2. being frightened off the road (and catching my rim on the kerb as I tried to get off the road) by a police siren exploding right behind me.
3. Almost hitting a kid wandering over the A23 in the rush hour with phone stuck to ear.
4. AGAIN some WVM trying to overtake me at the double bend (a bit like a chicane) at the Herne Hill end of Railton Road in Brixton.

All in 50 minutes.

smeg

Joe24 said:
OR, i would have pulled out my trusty gun, and shot him down(if i have any shots left from shooting all the other car drivers and pedestrians that have annoyed me/looked like/were about to do something dangerous)
A paintball gun attached to the handlebar could come in useful, I'd have fired a few shots at those idiots that have been dangerously overtaking me recently (or trying to) whilst going between traffic islands. I don't know what's the matter with everyone at the moment, people seem dead from the neck up and in such a bloody hurry to get somewhere.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
smeg said:
A paintball gun attached to the handlebar could come in useful, I'd have fired a few shots at those idiots that have been dangerously overtaking me recently (or trying to) whilst going between traffic islands. I don't know what's the matter with everyone at the moment, people seem dead from the neck up and in such a bloody hurry to get somewhere.

No, I'm a serious cyclist, I'm talking about a real gun:rolleyes:
The Lycra clad twat wouldn't have collided with me if i sprinted, he would have missed me, if he didn't miss me then he would have probably just hit my back wheel. Which, me being a serious cyclist i could have controlled.

Where's the answer?

Top Bottom