Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coronakid

as a new commuter I would like some advice on roundabouts
they are terrifying
you never know where cars are going to come off and the cars don’t seem to care too much about cyclists
im ok with little ones but big ones in the dark are scary
do people navigate these safely
or is it better to cross as a pedestrian, pushing your bike
B y the way I have a high viz jacket, front and back lights and helmet light

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Yes, they can be more intimidating than they ought to be, especially for new cyclists. Do you drive? If so, you will know which lane to use for a given exit. Ride as if you were driving, in the centre of the appropriate lane. This reduces the chance of being passed by impatient drivers. Be predictable and signal your intentions. Some people say that if you look drivers in the eye they will take more notice of you. Not so easy on a rainy night in the dark. If it's a regular route, can you practice in lighter traffic during daylight?

Having said all that, if you're not comfortable riding, there's no shame in walking. It's not worth being involved in a collision if you're not confident.

Good luck.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Wherever possible I choose my cycling routes to avoid really dodgy road junctions in the first place. Obviously there is far more choice of routes in an urban area, and sometimes the only realistic way from A to B can involve a fast busy roundabout. I've got off and walked across before, especially if my exit was almost the whole way round and going the "wrong" way round on foot was significantly shorter than riding round with the traffic. You really have to assess each one you encounter. For me, the dangerous ones are where the roundabout has multiple lanes and fast moving traffic cuts right across from one side to the other to reach the exit. I definitely give these type a wide berth in the dark.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't think I have encountered a roundabout yet that I won't cycle on. I ride across/around them all, even the big multi-lane ones at motorway junctions that also have traffic lights around them.
But, I have a few qualities that make this possible and I can imagine it would be very different without them.
In my favour I have balls of steel, good acceleration/speed and I also drive. In fact, not only do I drive, but as an ex delivery van driver I am used to the cut and thrust of busy roads and sub-optimal lane layout. One final advantage is to be reasonably big & ugly! Once I get up to speed and start glaring at errant drivers they usually reconsider cutting up the angry looking cyclist. :laugh:
It's not right and it shouldn't have to be this way but it does work. You almost have to project the same presence as a car, take the lane, dominate your space and assert your will!
Just remember though, any one of your fellow road users might try to kill you so don't get too carried away, you do want to reach your destination in one piece.

Slick

Guru
The reality is, there is a variety of roundabouts out there and they all need a variety of approach. It's a bit simplistic to act like a car on some of these things as at certain times of the morning and especially in winter, I get the feeling that some car drivers would simply run over the top of you. Which is why on a very large traffic controlled roundabout like St James's Interchange on Glasgow's M8 is one I avoid at all costs, although I have seen a few brave souls tackle it during the lighter mornings and a few mental cases try it at night. There is a similar one at Linwood that isn't much better and it has got a facility to walk round if you hit it at peak times but I can just about manage it, probably because it's near a container base and you are sharing it with so many heavies, it can actually slow the general entrance and exit speed and makes it slightly safer for cyclists although it is still coming off a very fast dual carriageway with cars still goi g at motorway speeds. There is another at the bottom of the Hurlet (names are more for locals) which is still a dual carriageway but within a supposedly 40 mph zone but as nobody seems to stick to that I don't feel guilty about avoiding it by cycling 300 yards or so on the pavement (that will put the cat amongst the pigeons) and using the zebra crossing before rejoining the road where it's safer. All the rest I can think off I do like others have mentioned by acting like a car and taking the lane and be very clear about your intentions when moving over to exit. It does get easier with a bit of practice. :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't think I have encountered a roundabout yet that I won't cycle on. I ride across/around them all, even the big multi-lane ones at motorway junctions that also have traffic lights around them.
But, I have a few qualities that make this possible and I can imagine it would be very different without them.
In my favour I have balls of steel, good acceleration/speed and I also drive. In fact, not only do I drive, but as an ex delivery van driver I am used to the cut and thrust of busy roads and sub-optimal lane layout. One final advantage is to be reasonably big & ugly! Once I get up to speed and start glaring at errant drivers they usually reconsider cutting up the angry looking cyclist. :laugh:
It's not right and it shouldn't have to be this way but it does work. You almost have to project the same presence as a car, take the lane, dominate your space and assert your will!
Just remember though, any one of your fellow road users might try to kill you so don't get too carried away, you do want to reach your destination in one piece.
Yep, stay in lane and stare at the feckers, never had an incident on a roundabout in 50 years of riding a bike.

I go round pretty much anything but if you don't feel comfortable by all means walk.

I take the lane and act as a car - ie on the inside if not going straight left. I find that drivers understand this. Makes you more visible and minimises the chances of cars cutting across you at exits.

Many roundabouts of course have "cycle crossings" that take you over all the exit and entry lanes.

Apart from being very slow, care needs to be taken if using these - that you don't get sloppy/tired with the fag and not spot a car in your rush to get round. You have to do a hell of a lot of looking/head turning to get round these - and since most of these are just paint on the road, the exit lane from a roundabout is probably the last place a driver is expecting to see someone crossing their path. And cars in entry lanes may be going pretty fast.

So if you feel up to it, drive as a car - but not like the car driver I came across one quiet sunday - missed his exit on the roundabout so decided that the best way to return to it was to back up!

alicat

Legendary Member
I've heard that it's more useful to look at the wheels to see if a driver has really seen me. Some drivers can seem to be giving me eye contact but actually not looking for bikes.

Lovacott

Über Member
as a new commuter I would like some advice on roundabouts
they are terrifying
you never know where cars are going to come off and the cars don’t seem to care too much about cyclists
im ok with little ones but big ones in the dark are scary
do people navigate these safely
or is it better to cross as a pedestrian, pushing your bike
B y the way I have a high viz jacket, front and back lights and helmet light
Roundabouts are all about taking ownership of your lane and making eye contact with drivers entering the roundabout from other directions.

I do two very busy rush hour four way roundabouts either side of a river bridge on my way home. I am turning right at both.

As I approach them, I can see the other three entry roads clearly.

I move to the centre of the lane I am in to prevent cars behind me from doing anything stupid.

I look to my right and see what the nearest car is doing. If they are turning left or stopping to give way to their right, I will enter the roundabout giving a very clear right turn signal with my right arm.

I then look left at the entry road on that side to make sure that the lead car driver can see me (eye contact).

As I pass that entrance, I do the same for the next entrance.

I have my fingers on the brakes ready to come to a dead stop in a split second if needs be.

I make sure that I am visible with the appropriate lighting and visible clothing.

I used to do the "Magic Roundabout" in Hemel Hempstead years ago and it was very daunting the first time. After a couple of goes, it was a piece of pi$$.

Fact is (in my experience), drivers are more alert at roundabouts than they are on a straight stretch of road (they won't be fiddling with their sat nav or retuning their radios).

Have a go at one early on a Sunday morning when there is not a lot about.

It won't be as bad as you imagine.

Lovacott

Über Member
I've heard that it's more useful to look at the wheels to see if a driver has really seen me. Some drivers can seem to be giving me eye contact but actually not looking for bikes.
It pays to do both (eye contact and any sudden movement of the vehicle).

Also, if there are two lanes coming in from any direction, watch out for any drivers coming up from empty lanes who may have their vision obscured by a car in the other lane which is stopped and giving way.

As others have said. It’s all about making yourself big and riding in primary (middle of lane) to cut the chances of drivers going underneath you. Even on smaller roundabouts I follow the white middle line (but don’t ride on it) to claim the roundabout so that drivers need to follow me for 20 seconds or so while I navigate the roundabout and don’t get hit.

Top Bottom