Route from Waterloo station

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all, Yesterday I cycled from Waterloo station to Barnet. I went what I thought was the direct route. That is across Waterloo bridge, around the Aldwych and then into Southampton Row, Euston, Camden Town, Kentish Town, Highgate West Hill and so on. I was appalled at how many traffic lights there are on this route, most of which I got stopped at. In your opinion is it easier to go over Blackfriers Bridge and through Farringdon via the Angle and Holloway road?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'd probably mix the Blackfriars Bridge to Kings Cross with the Camden - Kentish town rote TBH. Plus you miss out all that Holborn - Euston Rd. madness!:rolleyes:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
What you suggest doesn't sound like a bad idea, but is a bit longer, and doesn't exactly not have many traffic lights

(anyway, you're in London, people don't expect you to stop for lights :rolleyes:)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I just make every excuse to avoid that whole Aldwych, Kingsway, Holborn to Euston bit especially during rush hour, it's a bit 'competetive' for me.

Recently came into Kings Cross at 17:30 on a Friday, decided I'd ride down to Brixton using the the above route to Waterloo, Elephant & Kennington.
It was insane, loads of 'cheeky' cabbies and no way to get thru the traffic unless I were to ride on the pavement(which I don't do, along with RLJ'ing).

MERV

It was insane, loads of 'cheeky' cabbies and no way to get thru the traffic unless I were to ride on the pavement(which I don't do, along with RLJ'ing).

Same here.
2dsqtrp.gif

mootaineer

I ride from Canary Wharf to Mill Hill so I guess it's not that far off from your route?
I used to ride along Southampton Row / Euston but was forced to find another (and I find smoother) route when the roadworks began about 8 months ago.

Now I ride along Victoria Embankment, up Northumberland Avenue towards Trafalgar Square (you'll probably go via the Strand) then up Regent Street, past Piccadilly Circus...all the way up Regent Street until Park Crescent.
I then ride along the Outer Circle of Regent's Park until I get to Avenue Road...along Finchley Road where I take the right fork up Fitzjohn's Avenue up towards Hampstead...up past Whitestone Pond...then down the hill towards Golders Green along North End Road, Brent Street, Parson Street...

If you don't like the hill up to Hampstead you can ride along the Finchley Road (and I do that if I've had a long layoff from the bike) but I find it a lot slower due to traffic and traffic lights.

Hope this helps! :-)

mootaineer

gezza said:
respect to you mootaineer on that journey !!!!!!

It's only about 15miles each way, so it's not that far.
I also get sleepy if I do it every day so it's only a 2 or 3 day per week commute.
If I didn't have a job at the other end I could do it everyday but sleepiness isn't conducive to productivity! :smile:

Top Bottom