Route info Angus area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am considering spending a few days next spring/summer just north west of Forfar and up as far as Laurencekirk. There are quite a few minor roads west of the A90 according to the map which should probably be quiet and trike friendly but I have been caught out in other areas by what turn out to be rat runs for cars and in one case articulated lorries. Anybody in that area with local knowledge?

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Hopefully others can assist for roads in Forfar and Laurencekirk, but if they're advising against, then might I recommend something not too far away ? The coastal route from Arbroath through Dundee to Perth - much of it very quiet, or traffic-free. I've ridden it twice, on an ICE Adventure.
The Perth end has some steep sections.

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/dundee-to-arbroath-cycle-route

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/dundee-to-perth-cycle-route

Pleny of interesting things along the way, and the option's there for heading over the Tay Bridge and on to St. Andrews.

https://visitangus.com/cycling-trails/

If you're riding an ICE Q (not the QNT), or wider track trike, you may need to do a small detour at Balmossie, as the bridge over Dighty Burn is only JUST wide enough for my Adventure. I have the scars to prove it.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thanks for that BM. I used to go to Forfar to the site there and got on to some reasonable small roads in the Glamis direction. I no longer have a motorhome and in any case cannot get my Ice Adventure HD inside so the Caravan Club site is out. I am considering a tent and there is a C&CC CL at Fern just north west of Forfar. I also have a friend I want to visit in Laurencekirk. I am reasonably familiar with the roads between Dundee and Perth but want to continue north of Aberdeen towards the Fraserburgh area and then along to Nairn where the HGV rat run I mentioned is but I think I can cope with that over a short distance.

Slick

Guru
Can only really speak of the roads from Montrose to Laurencekirk which would be perfect to ride as they are reasonably quiet. I could only assume that it would be pretty much the same from Forfar, but it would be only a guess.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Can only really speak of the roads from Montrose to Laurencekirk which would be perfect to ride as they are reasonably quiet. I could only assume that it would be pretty much the same from Forfar, but it would be only a guess.
I would not be staying at Laurencekirk but the only reasonable camp site I can see in the area is at Fern. Any sites at Montrose I suspect are not my type of place. I prefer something not a seaside holiday resort tho’ sites at Banff or Portsoy are ok even if they are seaside. The Caravan Club site at Forfar may take tents but many of them do not. The main route out of Forfar towards Padanaram has a handy tree in the middle of the path which is passable on a bike but not a trike. I could dismount and wait for a traffic lull on the A94. From Forfar the B9134 was busy the last time I was on it and it is a long pull up to Brechin. Slow on the trike. It is a long time since I was near Edzell and I fancy having a look round that area which will have changed a lot I suspect.

Slick

Guru
Don't remember an awful lot at Edzel other than the castle and gardens which is nice. I am not really the man to ask about camp sites as they are not my thing. Still think all those roads would be good for exploring though. :okay:

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Don't remember an awful lot at Edzel other than the castle and gardens which is nice. I am not really the man to ask about camp sites as they are not my thing. Still think all those roads would be good for exploring though. :okay:
The last time I was past Edzell was just after the US airbase closed. I used to always have campers or motorhomes but now cannot justify the cost. Being on my own accommodation is a problem so a tent is the only solution now.

Slick

Guru
The last time I was past Edzell was just after the US airbase closed. I used to always have campers or motorhomes but now cannot justify the cost. Being on my own accommodation is a problem so a tent is the only solution now.
It looks doable with some nice weather so enjoy. :okay:

Top Bottom