Route into Manchester?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've finally decided to cycle into work from Rochdale to Manchester, a total of 16 miles. Probably just a couple of times a week to begin with, but I am struggling with what route to take. Are there any good sites on the internet that give you good routes, but don't just send you along canal banks. Alternatively, does anybody on this forum cycle the above route already? And are therefore able to tell me the best, and safest way into the land of Mancunia?? Any help would be gratefully received.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

The Rochdale Canal isn't bad you know, a bit pikey in places but perfectly fine to get you inside the M60. You might also try heading for Bury and turning south down the A56, I used to commute to college and back along that road, nice and wide and fast.

Sandra6

Veteran
Sustrans have an ap for your phone which is supposed to locate the best route for you.
I've had mixed results using it but it's worth a go.

Lyrical

fen x
It's been a few years but I would of imagined heading to Bury like previous people have said and nailing it down Bury New Road (A56) all the wait to central Manchester could be your best bet.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

The A56 is fine. South out of Bury the road is huge and IIRC there's a fairly decent width cycle lane. When you get to Whitefield the road narrows a bit and from there to the M60 the surface is utter shite. Through Prestwich is a bit hairy, lots of parked cars and pedestrians everywhere. Down past Prestwich park you should take the lane. Once you're up the hill out of Prestwich you'll be fine, the road becomes huge again.

I used to race buses on my way back from college (Salford). I'd often win.

Top Bottom