Route Maps / Routes in North Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

Does anyone know of any good route maps. Looking for something flat and not on the road in the North Wales area.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is the North Wales coastal cycleway - try here for a few.

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/rides_routes.htm

It's mainly on the sea prom, and down a few tracks etc, with the occasional bit of road use - we use the part between Gronnant and Prestatyn (prestatyn golf course) regularly with our young children when visiting the area (our 4 year old wouldn't ride her new bike until we took her on this section).

Dormouse

I second the coastal cycle path, I am a regular on the Rhos to Abergele section.

Circuit of the Great Orme has great views but has hills and light traffic.

There are also a cycle paths along old railways:

1. Bangor to Bethesda: should be nice but never done it myself

2. Most of the way from Bangor to Caernafon

3. SE from Caernafon

Or if you are looking for a short one, suitable for young children, there is one along an old railway at Llanberis, parallel to the west shore of Llyn Padarn.

Another short route runs around Llyn Crafnant (above Trefriw) but there are a few cars on half of it but also a nice cafe. Should be fine for older children. Short rough hill also.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Cheers for those.

Looking at the sustrans site they appear to be building links down from the coastal paths to st asaph and denbigh too which would be great.

Dormouse

I forgot to mention the new flattish off road route around Lyn Alwen and there are nearby routes/forest tracks around Llyn Brenig and Clocaenog Forest.

These lie between the A5 and Ruthin and Denbigh.

mikeitup

Veteran
Llyn Crafnant is great. Nice cafe. If you want you can follow the fire road also. Saw alot of MTBers there this year but a lot further up from the lake itself. BTW I wouldn't recommend cycling from Trefriw: the hill is a KILLER!! :blush:

Top Bottom