Route Planner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

I don't use Strava for planning routes. I figure that most Strava users are roadies and their routes may not be my kind of routes.
I do use Strava to keep a record of my rides.

But to slag off unknown people and members of the forum as "sheep on wheels" within 15 posts is a tad provocative.

CycleTravel for me is the best route planner, home and away. There's loads of features that make it especially suitable for touring and it is being enhanced monthly.
Unfortunately, it can be hard to keep track of all the innovations! ^_^

I'd relax hobbes - a fair light conversational comment in context I think - my point is that, personally, I am not really interested in where other folks are going. In anything very much. And as you say, I do have the idea that strava is mainly aimed at roadies - plus ones who want to compete with each other. Not my style of riding.
Come to think of it I can think of a few reasons why I personally would rather avoid roadie runs - just my personal take/taste - so maybe it does have its uses for me.
Enjoy your byways and ride on.
I agree that cycle travel is excellent - I believe one of its fairly recent innovations was changing the weighting of gradients in its algorithm. At one time it had a habit of giving you some serious serious climbs all for the sake of saving some tiny distance.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As the OP avatar is on a road bike i think its relevant and you can select road / trail type , to slag off something you clearly havent fully investigated is poor form

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'd not want to ride the same roads as those that our local road clubs.

other cyclists includes more than just club riders, a whole number of rider types from commuters , leisure riders even up to lycra clad nutters use the platform.I never said it suited everyone as t was only a suggestion but it seems to have descended into a " i dont like strava " bashing thread so i will leave this thread now as the prejudice shown here isnt worth trying to reason with

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm having trouble with the latest version of cycle.travel, but the problem is being looked into. (I cannot persuade it to go my chosen way up the steeper hills round here, no matter how many via points that I use.)

Petrichorwheels

I'm having trouble with the latest version of cycle.travel, but the problem is being looked into. (I cannot persuade it to go my chosen way up the steeper hills round here, no matter how many via points that I use.)

does it maybe think the way is blocked or impassable in some way?

ColinJ

does it maybe think the way is blocked or impassable in some way?

No.

I can plot a route from halfway up a hill. If I start from 10 metres down the hill it plots a route down the hill, goes on a big detour, and eventually rejoins the same road a few hundred metres further up!

I have tried it on some other local hills with 15+% gradients and it does the same kind of thing with them.

As I posted above, it is being investigated.

Petrichorwheels

No.

I can plot a route from halfway up a hill. If I start from 10 metres down the hill it plots a route down the hill, goes on a big detour, and eventually rejoins the same road a few hundred metres further up!

I have tried it on some other local hills with 15+% gradients and it does the same kind of thing with them.

please report back.
It does for sure have some oddities*, but is overall great I think.

* partly this is encouraging - we are free men/women/whatever - not algorithms.

No.

Put 2 waypoints either end of the detour and right click on lower numbered waypoint and select 'go direct to' and CT will snap a straight line between them - do it last as sometimes CT recalculates the route if you do further edits.

ColinJ

To illustrate the problem...

Straight up the hill...

CSR direct.png

Move the start point a few metres down the hill on the steep but well-surfaced, non-blocked road...

CSR detour.png

WTF!!!! :wacko::laugh:

Put 2 waypoints either end of the detour and right click on lower numbered waypoint and select 'go direct to' and CT will snap a straight line between them - do it last as sometimes CT recalculates the route if you do further edits.

Thanks - it is daft having to do it, but that actually worked. In my particular test road c.t then did another diversion higher up the hill, but I repeated the process with another couple of via points (waypoints) and sorted that out too.

This technique should enable me to start using cycle.travel again while the bug is being fixed.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
To illustrate the problem...

Straight up the hill...

View attachment 647763

Move the start point a few metres down the hill on the steep but well-surfaced, non-blocked road...

View attachment 647762

WTF!!!! :wacko::laugh:

Thanks - it is daft having to do it, but that actually worked. In my particular test road c.t then did another diversion higher up the hill, but I repeated the process with another couple of via points (waypoints) and sorted that out too.

This technique should enable me to start using cycle.travel again while the bug is being fixed.

It’s likely part of the road between those two points is incorrectly tagged and buggers up the routing. I’d take a look on PC sometime, as the source mapping is OSM and can be corrected.

ColinJ

It’s likely part of the road between those two points is incorrectly tagged and buggers up the routing. I’d take a look on PC sometime, as the source mapping is OSM and can be corrected.

I didn't spot anything when I checked, but perhaps I missed something.

Thing is, it also does the same thing on other steep road climbs in the area. For example, 'Mytholm Steeps', Hebden Bridge (Church Lane to Rawtenstall Bank).

Mytholm Steeps detour.png

Mike_P

Guru
It's not just steep hills, as with Komoot, it refuses to route along a signed cycle route that has existed for a number of year in Harrogate, presumably because the direct route uses a private road. I raised it with Komoot some time back drawing their attention to a published cycle route map but to no avail.
IMG_20220605_182028.jpg

Top Bottom