route planning 101

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plenty of good suggestions here. I build my routes , one day at a time, using RideWithGPS. I like the fact that you can easily switch between different map views while building it (OS Cycle, OS Outdoor, etc etc) and then zoom into Google Streetview mode to check out a rider's view of any junctions etc when you're not sure.

Once I've a route saved for each day I upload them to a Garmin 1030 (nice big screen) and my phone (as a backup device). The Garmin lasts me easily 8+ hours on a charge and reroutes pretty well if I stray of course.

Oh and just make sure your bike matches the terrain. I love the Sustrans NCR network but many of them are definitely unsuitable for pure road bikes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Once I've a route saved for each day I upload them to a Garmin 1030 (nice big screen) and my phone (as a backup device). The Garmin lasts me easily 8+ hours on a charge and reroutes pretty well if I stray of course.
I forgot to mention that I have a copy of Memory Map on my phone. Because of the amazing memory capacity of modern phones, I was able to download OS maps for the entire UK (except for N.I., for some reason) at 1:250,000, 1:50,000, 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 (street level) resolutions. I always put a backup copy of my longer routes on the phone in case the GPS were to pack up mid-ride. It never has done, but I am covered in case it does, and I would not need a phone signal to download a map because I already have every UK road map that I could possibly need.

If you're going from NE29 to AB56, they do take up a lot of space, and are indeed valuable (as in purchase price), especially if you go for Explorer rather than Landranger.

True, but if you buy the paper map, you can then you can scan the code and download the map to your device of choice as well.

You may be missing out on some great car- free cycling routes, depending where you use OS maps for.

Out in this neck of the woods, car free tends to mean muddy tracks. And I only have a road bike... :blush: Most of the roads I cycle on are relatively quiet. :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I forgot to mention that I have a copy of Memory Map on my phone. Because of the amazing memory capacity of modern phones, I was able to download OS maps for the entire UK (except for N.I., for some reason) at 1:250,000, 1:50,000, 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 (street level) resolutions.
Oh wow, that takes me back. Only rasters of certain resolutions, then? OsmAnd offers downloadable vector maps based on OSM, zoomable to whatever scale one fancies, showing cycle tracks, as well as stuff like shops that you can search for and highlight on the map. About 1.3Gb will store all of the UK (including NI).

ColinJ

Oh wow, that takes me back. Only rasters of certain resolutions, then? OsmAnd offers downloadable vector maps based on OSM, zoomable to whatever scale one fancies, showing cycle tracks, as well as stuff like shops that you can search for and highlight on the map. About 1.3Gb will store all of the UK (including NI).
Yes - bloody huge, and ugly when zoomed! About 20 GB in total.

Having said that - OS maps are beautiful when viewed at the intended size.

OSM:
Tod OSM.png

Tod OS 25.png

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I plan rides on bikehike then save the gpx route to my trusty etrex 20.
I'd be an advocate for the humble paper map but I'm one of those blithering idiots who can't pinpoint their current location on said map in order to follow any directions.
The little Garmin affords me that luxury and if need be, can direct me to the closest known shop etc in emergency (I'm diabetic).
It's use of 2 AA batteries makes it easy to continuously power it and I'll get as much as 20+ hours from one set.
Expensive if only using it once in a while for the short term, but mine has been used at least 3 times a week for the last 4 years and despite having a few bugs over that time has been mostly reliable.
I prefer bikehike to cycle.travel for its ease of use in that I have full control over its routing.
I also find cycle.travels lack of place names to be frustrating. Took me ages to locate Delamere Forest when planning my tour.

ColinJ

The GB OS is for Britain only. For Northern Ireland, you need the appropriately named "Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland". Another £100 if you want it from Memory Map and only 1:50,000.
Thanks - I forget that it is the United Kingdom of GB and NI!

It seems a bit odd not to do a UK map rather than just a GB one, but at least that explains it.

I bought my GB maps in sales. The 1:50,000 was under £50. I think I paid around £100 for the £1:25,000. The 1:10,000 street map was really cheap, about £10. The 1:250,000 came with the Memory Map software.

tom73

Guru
Can't beat OS map they do all come with a code for a digital version so best of both worlds. Cost a bit more but the weather proof ones will last a lot longer plus you can write on them with dry wipe pen and rub it off later.

Top Bottom