Route planning France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I'm attempting to plan a route around southern France for my coming trip in May. I am struggling to plan a route. I want to cover around 50 miles a day on average. I have 15 days and my trip finishes in Orange. My drop of point is Peripignan. So far I've come up with -

Day 1 Peripignan D117 along the Tet Valley spending my first night in Axat

Day 2 Axat to Carcassone via D117

13 days left and not sure where to go so any ideas much appreciated I need to bear in mind I am being picked up in Orange and would like to climb ventoux day before departure.

Any ideas at all much appreciated

Thank you

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've had a brief look at the map but I've cut up some of the pages of my Michelin book to use last summer. From what I can see, I personally wouldn't fancy the D117 out of Perpignan. It looks busy and dual-carriageway for substantial sections.
I'd look at the cross-country option via Tuchan and Lagrasse which would only be 70 miles in 2 days and easily doable even if it's a bit lumpier.

Given that you have 13 days, you shouldn't have any trouble getting to Ventoux so I'd suggest taking an inland route through the Espinouse or Montagne Noirs depending on how much you like climbing.

andym

Über Member
Check out viamichelin.com. The Michelin maps show scenic routes with green highlighting. I've always found these reliable and helpful.

Other suggestions - research places to visit/campsites and places to stay then join the dots. Tourist office websites are very useful but it could be worth spending a bit on a decent guidebook eg Rough Guide or Lonely Planet (or scrounge from library etc). My golden rule is stay off any road marked in red on the Michelin maps (ie routes nationales and some main D roads). It's also worth paying attention to the altitude figures - 50 miles and a 1,000 metres of climbing is a different proposition to 50 miles on the flat - in really mountainous you may be better off thinking about the total climbing rather than mileage.

Sites like bikely.com/gpsies etc are also very useful for giving you an idea of possible routes.

I did Orange to Montepelier a few years back - I ambled across the Cevennes taking in all the main river gorges to Bordeax and then used the Aude as an easy way to get back to Montpelier - was easily doable in two weeks - not sure that there would be time to "do" Ventoux"

Fullscreen%20capture%2003022011%20133223.jpg

so say

Perpignan -Canal du Midi -Toulose -Garrone -Bordeax -Branne -Dordorgne -Soulliac -Rocadamour -Figeac -Capdenac Gare – Lot- St Geniez De Olt -St Satunine De Lenne- Les Vignes -Tarn -Le Pont de Monvert- Bresragges –Ceze- St Ambroix- Vallon -Pont D Arc -Ardeche -Pont St Espirit -Orange – 1224km (ish)

There are a few photos here
France2006ASelection.jpg France 2006 a selection">​

asterix

Comrade Member
In 2003 I went from Orange to La Figueres(sp?) via Perpignan. My mistake was getting too close to the coast as I found it was busy, rather dull and tacky. So I went inland and found it much pleasanter. Can't recommend that part of Spain BTW - I nipped in and out the same day!

OP
OP
roundisland
Rich, I don't fancy dual Carriage way either much, Which is the less hill option Espinouse or Montagne Noirs?

Andym, I like the viamichelin.com. website I will go into town today and pick up there maps of the regions I'm thinking of covering. Helpful advice thanks.

Psmiffy, Great pictures. The route you took might be real option I guess I can cut north earlier leaving more time for Ventoux at the end.

Asterix, Many people have said the coast is not much good very busy etc, I love the ocean very much but think I will pass this time and head inland like advised.

Top Bottom