Route suggestion please..........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajb

Can anyone suggest a route from Basingstoke in Hampshire to Dorking in Surry ?????
I have looked at maps etc but if anyone lives in the area and knows some "descent" cycling roads to keep us off the busy main roads I would be grateful,
Thanks, Alan.

Broadside

Guru
Hi Alan,

The direct main road route would be the A30 to Hook then the A287 past Odiham and on to Farnham/Upper Hale and then the A31 to Guildford. All of those roads are easily doable but are all pretty unpleasant and boring.

I live in Fleet and ride to Guildford 2-3 times a month using minor roads. I would do something like this route which is all very nice apart from a grotty 10 mins as you pass through Aldershot. It takes on some of the best scenery in this part of the Hants/Surrey border.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...g=w&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4&t=m&z=11

The stretch from when you pull off the A339 just outside Basingstoke through to Farnham is not flat but the countryside is lovely out that way. The route is about 3 miles longer than the direct route but it would be a much nicer ride. I have only ridden to Dorking once and did it very early morning on a Sunday so the roads were okay but I wouldn't recommend going along the A25 (the route I have linked to avoids the A25 on purpose). Someone else with better knowledge of the Dorking area will probably have another opinion but I rode the A25 once on the day it was closed for the Olympic trial race last Aug/Sep and I was just grateful there were no cars on it, I think it would have been horrible if there were any cars.

Let us know how you get on.

Top Bottom