Royal Parks Movement Strategy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottfletcher

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/manag...e-royal-parks-transport-and-movement-strategy

Don’t miss the chance to influence what happens
My view - stop rat run commuter through traffic which massively impacts the feel and stress levels within my local Richmond Park as a great example

Prioritise pedestrian access with considerate cycling also a priority

The plans could and should change things for much the better
Thanks
Scott

Drago

Legendary Member
It is an unfortunate name for the project. Perhaps "transport strategy" may have been more appropriate?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
It's a nice place to cycle round, when there are no cars, which rather spoil it. Hopefully they will reduce the cut through/commute element, it is, after all, a park.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The Strategy states the increased popularity in cycling as a 'challenge'...

Just ban cars from all but parking areas, use the existing roads for cyclists and some paths for cyclists, providing most areas for pedestrians so they're free and safe to walk in zigzags looking down at their phones with their earphones in listening at 100% volume...

Win Win...

OP
OP
S

scottfletcher

The Strategy states the increased popularity in cycling as a 'challenge'...

Just ban cars from all but parking areas, use the existing roads for cyclists and some paths for cyclists, providing most areas for pedestrians so they're free and safe to walk in zigzags looking down at their phones with their earphones in listening at 100% volume...

Win Win...
Yes am hoping it’s also not taken as an opportunity to slap down cycling... I don’t think so in general but there may be physical measures taken to slow road bikers or police the 20mph speed limit - which is hard to adhere to let’s be honest...

Whatever the cycling reality it pales in relation to the speeding, noise and danger from rat running cars

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I usually only go there after dark when the gates are closed, the serious bike types are gone, and the people with ski poles and planks on their feet are gliding along silently by the light of their head torches. Last Sunday, in daylight, it was more crowded than St Mark's Square.

ozboz

Guru
I live to the nearest gate one mile from Richmond Park, I really enjoy riding around there all weathers, you can do a twenty km circuit which i find really stress free ,but I do avoid going at certain times, weekends are very busy with walkers and joggers on shared paths ,dogs on those retractable leads can be a problem , rat run at peak times do not bother me at all , but usually for me any weekday between 9 and say 4 is perfect , I am going to the LCC meeting in Richmond this week , no doubt there will be some input from them into the strategy,
I rarely go to Bushy Park , I may go to Swinley more this year ,

OP
OP
S

scottfletcher

From each gate a car should only be able to access the car park next to that gate. Simple.
That would be great - except when those car parks are full up. Probably an issue they’ll consider. I reckon they’re going to have to shut one end of the park say roehampton or Kingston to discourage rat runners

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wonder what they'll manage to do with Greenwich Park: the Avenue is nothing more than a car park for over 200 vehicles (bike stands for 2, though there are about 4 outside the grounds - but that's probably the council). Every weekday, morning and night, it's a rush hour relief route. I doubt that their devotion to the car will allow them to give more consideration to park walkers, runners and cyclists.

Oh, the use of the word movement is because walkers, runners and cyclists are not usually referred to as transport or traffic.

Top Bottom