rubbing disc brake on MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
Hi I have a Trek with avid juicy 7/carbon brakes 160mm rotors. recently i bought a spare set of wheels.
upon changing the wheels i now find the discs rub to the point that the wheels will hardly freewheel.
changing to the original wheel the disc rubbing continues. the rotors have not been used much and so i assume that the wear on the same is v v similar, looking at them.
i have used the adjustment on the lever and that really has not made that much difference.

i now seem to be stuck with 2 sets of wheels which rub, any answers out there?

RedBike

I would guess that your calipers are not inline with your discs on the second set of wheels. Using your brakes like this has caused one piston to be slightly further out than it should be, so they rub on the orignal setup. None of this should be a problem though.

Just push the pistons/pads back into the calipers using a plastic tyre lever. Check the calipers are aligned correctly with the rotors. Then pump the brake lever a few times to get the brakes working again.

woohoo

Veteran
As above, but I slacken off the disc brake unit's mounting bolts, put a couple of bits of cardboard in between the pads and the rotor, pump the brake and whilst it is "on", retighten the mounting bolts.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
i had great problems getting the calipers/pistons back in, they seemed stuck :smile: it seems to have worked and ther still a small amount of rubbing oh wellit was better than it was :biggrin:

02GF74

Über Member
there should be clearance between pad and disc, maybe the two loightly touch as you spin the wheel.

the caliper is held on by 2 bolts and you can put shims in between the caliper and bolt to move it relative to the disc. you may find that the caliper is at an angle.

Top Bottom