rubbish cycle home.... why??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
right,

for 3rd time, gone the full 12 miles bolton<>manchester.... first time, last 3miles going home was horrid, second time, last 2miles.. takes about 1hr10 cycling, + 10 'sat at lights or traffic'..

this morning, felt pretty good ( err except i probably shouldnt have shouted at the wvm, he took offence at my wobbling due to starting in wrong gear ,,, oops), but in general got to work feeling 'great' ( apart from detour due to ped being knocked down,, saw the cycling paramedic with his 'blue lights' going)

gets a puncture just before work, because (i'm pretty sure as it looks like bottle glass!) some daft cafe worker swept glass into the road just in front of me , nearly got me with the broom ! ( would have given wider berth,, but two peds had walked out without looking properly :sad: )..

so ,first rear tyre puncture, seemed to go okay, got help from lad at work who cycles. thinks jobs a good un :biggrin: getting hang of this :smile:

now, going home, i just can't get any speed up... i'm not fast by any means, but have been creeping up more like 14 on the flat 'easily' from say 12.. couldnt get 10 and any incline was hard work...

its took 2hrs in total, 1hr 25 cycling time and i feel really worn!

now, the obvious thing is that i couldnt get much pressure in the tyre with the stupid little pump ( it claims 25psi :sad: )..

but i also dont think the wheel is freewheeling well, it just doesnt have that 'whizz' when i spin it by hand.... and it obviously seems to be touching the brakes :sad: but not all the time and the rim oscillates ( err i'm thinking i havent got it put back in place right :sad: )

so apart from

1. pump the tyre back up :smile:

2. adjust the brakes so not touching.

3. messing with the rear 'skewer' to see if it aligns better ?

what else could it be, could i have got a bent wheel ( and is it obvious)?

( dont think its the cold, i had that over a week ago, and the symptons have gone).

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like either the wheel hasn't been put back in correctly,or the wheel is out of true.

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
Sounds like either the wheel hasn't been put back in correctly,or the wheel is out of true.

daft question , but how do i do that?

is it not as simple as 'stick it as far into the err hole bit and then tighten up' ? instead is some adjustment needed?

( probably should google this shouldnt i :biggrin: )

potsy

Rambler
Last time I did it,just undo the QR give the bike a bit of a press down on saddle and re-tighten QR.
If brakes were OK before the flat then pretty sure that's all it will be.
If the wheel is buckled or a spoke has gone then it could be a bit more of a faff.

I've been commuting just short of 20 miles a day for 18 months and still have days where I'm just not 'right'

Top Bottom