Rucksack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
jethro10 said:
Thats actually a good point, removability.
Can someone give me a model that is very easily removable and say why it is so. Just so I have an example as a starting point.
Thanks
Jeff

In my experience most panniers come with Rixen Kaul fittings or something that looks very similar. They clip onto the rack, so they don't bounce off, but unclip when you lift them vertically. Ortlieb are the benchmark but other brands to look for are Vaude, Altura, Carradice, dhb (Wiggle own-brand - Edinburgh Bikes do the same bag under their name) or Creek2Peak.

Tony

Another split answer here. I am a believer in letting the bike carry the load. Balance is better, as is comfort. However, I was introduced to hydration packs some years ago, and as a lot of my serious touring is in rather hot conditions, I will usually have a 2 or 3 litre waterpack on my back. It doubles as a valuables carrier. I have never got on with barbags, so it also serves to hold my maps.

Christopher

Über Member
i use an Ortlieb drysack, one of the long thin ones, bungee'd to the rack. A great way to take the tent, and the drysack is as tough as old boots and very waterproof, provided it is closed properly.

Arch

Married to Night Train
jethro10 said:
Thats actually a good point, removability.
Can someone give me a model that is very easily removable and say why it is so. Just so I have an example as a starting point.
Thanks
Jeff

I have a simple pair of Altura panniers, which just pull off - they have a little plastic spring under the hook that keeps them on, but they just pull off upwards. Rixen and Kaul types are also good.

Probably the least convenient are those with plain hooks and a bungy that hooks under a bit of the rack - you can often get them off one handed, but they can be a fiddle if the hook gets caught, and you get dirty fingers fiddling with it.

Norm

+1 with Arch. Mine have hooks on the top and a bungey at the bottom. As they are over 20 years old, though, the elastic has perished, I didn't replace. :smile:

Fiona N

Veteran
Why do you need more stuff for 4 days than 1 day (I assume if you're using panniers for 1 day, you mean one night away not just a day ride)? When I tour on the Speedmachine - typically 7 to 20 days away - I use a pair of tiny old Karrimor front panniers as rear panniers and a small rack top bag with camera, wallet, and 2 litres of water in a camelbak (no water bottles holders on my recumbent). Total about 7kg which reduces to 5kg during the day - wonderful :evil:

mike1026

I met a young guy a couple of years ago he was on his way back from Llangollen to Stoke-on-Trent. I was very impressed with him as he had renovated an old bike for the trip, he was using a large ex army rucksack. We stopped and chatted he did not have any cooking gear although he had a tent, sleeping bag as well as other gear clothing and so on. I made a brew which we shared. The weight of the rucksack was considerable and his shoulders were red raw. I gave him some advice about panniers similar to the advice in this thread. The one thing that really struck me was how much he was enjoying himself being his first trip as a cycle tourist. Clearly carrying a large rucksack while cycling is not a good idea but his set up gave him a chance to get out and enjoy a great trip. During our chat he readjusted the load in the rucksack and I saw that in addition to some sensible items he had a six pack of beer! I suppose that cycle touring is perhaps more of an art than a science.

andym

Über Member
The trouble with the word 'rucksack' is that it can cover everything from:

tikirosebackpackopt.jpg

to

ultimax_rucksacks.jpg

You could cycle tour perfectly well with the first (although it might get you some funny looks) but probably not with the second - although I did once (just) manage to get back from my local B&Q with a big bag of sand in a rucksack.

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
Well I got a pair of Panniers.
These ones from Edinburgh Cycles

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C417&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c012372c012369

to me, every bit as good as Vaude, Ortlieb etc at only £48.50 in the sale or about 1/2 the price of the big brands.
Well chuffed, they are excellent quality and more important, you just 'forget' they are on the bike, unlike a rucsac.

Jeff

Tedx

I don't even like a rack sack on my back when commuting so I'd never use one for touring! :/

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I did an overnight 'tour' with a rucksack last Sunday, due to a broken rack. 8 days later and my back is still in agony. Never again.

BlueTowser

I'm attempting Jogle this year and like thew general advice here, don't want to use a rucksack. I've seen a 30 litre bag that looks ok but now need a rack for my Felt F80. When I was a kid I had a rck that fitted each side of the hub with a bar that bolted behind the seat stays. My local bike shop says the racks now won't fit the Felt. Any suggestions?

Welcome Blue:welcome:

I have not found a detailed enough picture of your bike to be sure but I guess you lack a fitting point on the rear drop out (behind or above the hub).

No worries:smile: There is a current thread on this board aboout a ride to Rome, there are a few useful suggestions on there as to how to fix a rack to a road bike plus elsewhere on the site if you check the search function.

Enjoy your tour:smile:

Bodhbh

Guru
mike1026 said:
The one thing that really struck me was how much he was enjoying himself being his first trip as a cycle tourist. Clearly carrying a large rucksack while cycling is not a good idea but his set up gave him a chance to get out and enjoy a great trip. During our chat he readjusted the load in the rucksack and I saw that in addition to some sensible items he had a six pack of beer! I suppose that cycle touring is perhaps more of an art than a science.

Blissfull ignorance :tongue: Amazing how you can be happy with something when you don't know any better. My first two tours were with a couple of 20l front panniers augmented by a 45l backpack. I can't remember if it's just what I had available at the time or it seemed entirely reasonable to lug a pack about. Either way, I don't recall it being hugely uncomfortable and glad I just got stuck in.

Top Bottom