Rudy Project Road Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
I purchased this as my old Giro Phase helmet had seen enough sweat and weather extremities over the past two years.

imag0251c.jpg
imag0244c.jpg
imag0248b.jpg

I decided to check out some lids at the local shops and even Evans, however there was limited selections to choose from being:

Specialized, Giro, Bontrager and Met being the pick to try on.​

My Giro was very comfortable and was tempted to stick with this sizing, but whilst I was trying them on I decided to see if the 'Large' was an option to help if I had to order online. My head measures on the rather large size for a short-ass coming in at 56cm, but to most manufacturers this comes in as a Medium.

To cut the story into a shorter digestable piece the only other helmet which came close to the old one in comfort was the specialized prevail. This was quite expensive however coming in at the £159.00 mark making me consider heavily (it also looks very robot like from the front). The other top end price/brand with similar qualities was the Giro Ionos, again baulking in at upwards of the £100 (web, or closer to 150 in store).

I then spent a couple of evenings online stewing over the other brands narrowing them down to a handful based on Price > Looks > Colour scheme. I also had a handy review section to help me in a cycling plus issue a couple of editions ago. The sizing for my measurements was a L/XL as the S/M covers the tiny head people.

I ended up fancying the RP Sterling as they were pretty unique (I have yet to spot one on my outings), a good price and the sealing blow was the colour scheme twinned with a vent system that accommodates your sunglasses!

After having a tough week of stressful work, deadlines meant I missed out on a few evening rides (grrrr) I managed to test out the lid today on a thirty mile spin in some sporadic north west sunshine. It was extremely comfortable, great ventilation and although the weight may seem heavier than the competition actually felt lighter than my older helmet.

I purchased it from wiggle for ~£83 (the price currently is £98.99) and this was lower due to me signing up and using a £5 voucher as I purchased.

I would rate it so far highly (9/10) but will update this review in a few weeks to see if I find any annoyances or problems that may materialise later.

Gareth

Top Bottom