Rugged Road Wheel Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

I've got a Cannondale Synapse with the Maddux R3.0 stock wheels on, and on the cycle in to work. There was a picket line on the way (students protesting pensions, go them!). Someone hopped out right in front of me, I went flying, and the back wheel is buckled.

I see this as an opportunity to change the wheels, which I've heard from many people are awful! I'm hoping that I could get a bit of advice on what to go for. I know what I want, but don't know enough about products on offer to make a good decision!

A few details on me / what I'm looking for
Price:
Expecting £70-£150 for the full wheelset (if there is a good reason to go a bit outside of that, I'm okay with it)... equally, if people think I should just keep the Maddux front wheel, and just change the bent rear, let me know!
Usage: Commuting 50 miles weekly in the winter, but up to around 150 miles per week in the summer including a couple of sportives. The roads are okayish, the cycle paths are expectedly poor!
Weight: 14.5 stone
Cycling level: 18 miles takes me an hour, 5 miles takes me 15 minutes.
Main requirements: Durability!!! Whilst I do try and push myself, I'm trying to beat my own time. It doesn't matter if I take a 60 minute ride down to 59, or 57 down to 56 with a better bike! Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have something superfast too that would make me look slightly less unimpressive in a sportive, but I have to be realistic here :smile:

If any more information would help, please do let me know and I'll happily furnish you!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Talk to spa about a handbuilt option with lots of spokes

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Other people have mentioned hand built options before. It sounds expensive though! What sort of cost would that be? Also time frames, as with my back wheel buckled it's fairly urgent.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why don't you use the existing hub and get your lbs to lace something like a DT Swiss rim on?
Don't think you'll get much of a wheel set for that budget.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Talk to spa about a handbuilt option with lots of spokes
This^^^^^
Especially at 14.5 stone. Money well spent and Spa have an excellent reputation.
Also DCR WHEELS. Go for Archetype 23mm rims their Novatec hubs and dble butted spokes if the budget allows.

Their wheel packages start as follows:

NovaTec A171/F172, Kinlin XR-270 rims, Sapim Race spokes brass nipples(24:28)
£220. Approximately 1660g.

This is a good economical set. The hubs have big bearings, albeit slightly cheap ones. The set is stiff and strong and should last fairly well. It is shimano 11s compatible or Campagnolo compatible, hubs can be black or silver. Considering the quality of a lot of the components, the price is pretty amazing, although all areas of course can be improved upon.

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

I'll give those Spa chaps a call tomorrow :smile: It seems that all of you seem to agree that that is the way to go!

The Shimano ones you posted for £100 look appealing though, I normally cycle the same routes so I know where all the potholes are, haha! I also saw some Shimano WH-R501 which someone else recommended for about £110, I guess those ones you posted are the newer model of that same sort of set?

Liz, can I ask what you mean by a tourer? £250 is a fair old chunk above what I was hoping for. It wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world, but with two kids, every penny counts!

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

oh, I forgot to mention, my rear casette is only 8 speed (does that make a difference anyway? Surely I can just whack a spacer on anything)

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

That makes a lot of sense Liz.

Thanks to all of you guys. I'm torn between a cheapo set from Shimano, or these handbuilt ones! You have probably convinced me to go with the more expensive ones :smile:

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

I had a chat with the guy at Spa... he was great! Understood my requirements perfectly, and gave me a suggestion that perfectly matched everything I wanted.

I love it when someone is like that, down to earth and thinks about the customer. You go to some shops and the person serving can't think beyond getting the biggest, best and fastest thing out there!

Spa suggested these:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s178p1956/SPA-CYCLES-Handbuilt-Wheelset-Shimano-Tiagra
with Rigida Chrina rims.
£176? Can't say fairer than that, and they have both a 32 and 36 spoke option (I'd probably go 36... why not :smile: )

Thanks for all your help guys!

Top Bottom