Ruined tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

I was giving the bike a clean after the riding the Dartmoor Classic at the weekend and noticed the state of the tyres. I'm not really experienced enough to know whether this sort of damage/wear/whatever is acceptable or not, particularly with a triathlon this coming weekend.

The tyres are schwalbe ultremo R1, new in April, I can't be sure of the mileage, thought I wrote it down but no more than 400-500 max.

The first photo shows some sidewall damage to one of the tyres, which I would expect means it's scrap, this damage was what made me take a closer look to see all the other splits/cracks/trailing rayon in both tyres.

7b1bf716.jpg

1866a99f.jpg

e36cd5b2.jpg

29fbfeb2.jpg

2f32b8b5.jpg

53cbe436.jpg

4a974141.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's hard to tell from the pictures. Can you see through the rubber or is it just a cut in the outer surface? The top photo looks the worst, I can't see anything in the others that would bother me unduly, just very carefully cut the bit off in picture 3.

Sheldon Brown has a long article on tyres that may be of interest (here)

FWIW I complained to Schwalbe last year after some R's that I had cut up badly after 200 miles. The guy I spoke to, probably quite rightly, told me that these are their racing tyres and as such aren't really designed for lots of miles. He did kindly replace them but I wouldn't count on them always doing the same.

Also I've noticed that my R1s are definitely allergic to rain, go out in rain, puncture, sometimes twice!! I rarely use them now although I do like the way the bike performs with them on.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

On reflection, I think I agree with you. Looking closely at the construction of the tyre, there is an extra "fabric" layer around the inner edge and the outer coating of rubber is extremely thin that the edge of this has allowed the "fabric" to come lose. I doubt the extent of this as it is at the moment poses any structural risk.

In other areas of the sidewall you can make out exposed threads where the rubber is just applied too thinly, whether this accounted for the big nick in the first photo or not I don't know.

The other 'splits', well, they don't go deep, you can't see any 'fabric' layer or anything so I'll go with Sheldon on that one.

The big nick in the first photo does have a very slight bulge, so if I can't get a replacement for saturdays race, I'll stick it on the back wheel and put some sort of tyre-boot on the inside.

Chris

martint235

Dog on a bike
On reflection, I think I agree with you. Looking closely at the construction of the tyre, there is an extra "fabric" layer around the inner edge and the outer coating of rubber is extremely thin that the edge of this has allowed the "fabric" to come lose. I doubt the extent of this as it is at the moment poses any structural risk.

In other areas of the sidewall you can make out exposed threads where the rubber is just applied too thinly, whether this accounted for the big nick in the first photo or not I don't know.

The other 'splits', well, they don't go deep, you can't see any 'fabric' layer or anything so I'll go with Sheldon on that one.

The big nick in the first photo does have a very slight bulge, so if I can't get a replacement for saturdays race, I'll stick it on the back wheel and put some sort of tyre-boot on the inside.

Chris

If there's a bulge I wouldn't ride an R1. They are known for that and are known to fail!!!

I bought some Ultremo ZX tyres and after about 300 miles had exactly the same thing happen.

I discovered them about a week before the classic, emailed Schwalbe direct and after returning the faulty tyres they are sending out replacements plus 2 new inner tubes free of charge.

The guy i spoke to did say that there was no immediate danger from riding on them but didnt fancy doing the classic on them so ordered some Pro Race 3's as a quick replacement while the schwalbe issue was being resolved.

I dont see why they would not replace yours in the same fashion, after all for what you pay the tyres should not be perishing after only 300 miles!!

Below are the pictures of my ZXs

front tyre.JPG

front tyre_zoom.JPG

rear tyre.JPG

rear tyre_2.JPG

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Thanks for that Somerset C., useful to know. I have emailed schwalbe but heard anything yet, I'll chase them up next week when I've got some more time. I got another one to replace the worst of the two for this weekends triathlon, perhaps I should have got something different, but at such short notice I wanted to use a tyre that I'm familiar with how it handles.

Cheers!

Chris

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Just a follow up in case anybody else has an issue with their tyres. I sent the damaged 'ultremo r1's back to schwalbe uk and they were replaced with a pair of 'ultremo zx' with no quibble, and a couple of freebie inner tubes.

Shame it happened, but can't ask anymore than that, hopefully the 'zx' will fair better.

Chris

Top Bottom