Rules about when bikes aren't allowed on D roads in France?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
While I was in Brittany I came across a couple of D Roads with sections where bikes weren't allowed (the D786 going towards Binic and the D7 going towards Paimpol). Both were marked on my (2007) Michelin map in red although it looked like both could have been recently 'upgraded' to become dual carriageways. I wondered whether there is a rule about what types of road bikes aren't allowed on.

yello

I didn't even know that there was some D roads you couldn't cycle on. There are a few around here that I wouldn't but that's another matter!

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
There is a sign for "motor vehicles only" shown here http://www.alltravelfrance.com/France/Car_Rental/Road_Signs.htm#info (white car on blue background) - these can theoretically be on any roads but I have only ever seen them on N roads. But D roads are getting upgraded and can be old N roads renamed

The signs showed a bike and a moped with a red diagonal bar through them - and probably some text in French as well. Definitely no ambiguity.

Yello - I was hoping you'd know...

I dont think there are any rules apart from there must be a viable alternative quite often where they have just bypassed a town or village - not that common in france - i think ive been caught out by one of the one you mention - quite common on similar roads in many other european countries - you arrive at sign and have to start figuring out what the alternative is if its not signposted - and if it is signposted is there a better alternative (often the recommended alternative is up to 50% longer)

yello

psmiffy said:
(often the recommended alternative is up to 50% longer)

Indeed! I often ignore 'route barrée' signs (when on the bike) because of this. And I've never had anyone (if indeed there is anyone to care!) say anything. I've only once been caught out - when they were replacing a bridge! Most of the time, it's easy to skirt the works.

Sorry, I couldn't help andym. To my shame, I actually forgot to ask club mates yesterday as well ;)

The road from Lourdes into the Pyrenees (D821) catches a lot of foreign cyclists out. Similarly the roads into Bordeaux, where the "motors only" sign is after the "cycle track" sign which a lot of cyclists, especially British, think they can ignore. The flics are getting pretty strict on it, as with RLJing and cycling under the influence, you can be breath tested on a bike in France.

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
yello said:
Sorry, I couldn't help andym. To my shame, I actually forgot to ask club mates yesterday as well :wacko:

I only meant that I regard you as The Guru on all things French.

I was about to have a sense of humour failure on the road to Binic but fortunately a passing French cyclist directed me to the cycle lane ... on the other side of the road!

Top Bottom