Runners ailments...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Fab Foodie said:
Glad I'm a cyclist and not a runner (well only 3 miles once a week).

Look at what it does to you!

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/...he+Med+Tent&number=11&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=
Compare with cyclists...bit of cramp, the odd bit of chaffing round the 'nads and of course razor-rash.

I'll stick with the healthy option.

Well, just goes to prove that sitting in a beer garden supping a guinness or three and smoking a few tabs whilst eating a greasy bacon n egg sarnie is a very healthy lifestyle !!!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Elmer Fudd said:
Well, just goes to prove that sitting in a beer garden supping a guinness or three and smoking a few tabs whilst eating a greasy bacon n egg sarnie is a very healthy lifestyle !!!

Too much Guinness can cause something akin to "Runners Trots" though...
When I read this bit It was hard not to chuckle, I never realised it was such an issue...seems to be in positive spirits about it...

dmclean
Member posted Oct-08-2007 06:10 PM
Ran the Tuft's 10k and had major issues at mile 3,4, 5 and 6. I finished the race but was glad I brought a change of clothes! Back to the drawing board.
:> )

Blonde

Knee problems still rear their heads even for cyclists, plus there's all that inconvenient falling off, road rash etc, although I have heard medical professionals, a sports physio and a sports masseur I went to all say they don't get many cyclists in and say it's usually twisting/turning or contact sports such as rugby, football, tennis etc that seem to cause more injuries.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
When I first started my get fit campaign I was going to include running but was advised to stay well clear purely because of the constant injuries.

Luckily, I hate running :blush:

I run and cycle.

I'd say that leisure cycling is far less injuring than leisure running.

Even semi-competitive running involves a state of constant injury, or worry about it - in the running club, minor aches and pains are not considered 'proper' injuries, it's only an injury if you can't train through it or it affects your race times.

Apart from those charity fun-runners who struggle through with no training at all, it's probably harder to get through the training schedule for a marathon and get to the start line uninjured than it is to run the 26.2 miles.
- a mid-pack club runner will typically follow a 16 week training plan, with upto 20-22 mile training runs and 40-60 miles a week
- a top-line international runner might be doing 100-150 miles a week

Compared to my running, my cycling seems to place much less stress on my body.
I can do a 100+mile sportive on a Sunday and my legs are a bit stiff on Monday but I can do a recovery ride, I can train hard by later in the week.
A 10 mile TT doesn't wreck me much at all.

But then my cycling is probably a level of intensity down from my running.
- I don't average 150-200miles a week, which would be the equivalent of running 40-50

What injuries do pro's get, with the training intensity and mileage they put in ?
I read somewhere that a pro would expect to crash on average three times a year, with injuries like broken collarbones, compressed vertebrae, etc

I've never had a proper 'off' cycling - like a broken collarbone or something which kept me off the bike for long, but I was knocked off by a car earlier this year and that kept me off work for several days, which is not something that running has ever done.

Blonde

I think with running you get more injuries due to impact. Cycling is a non-impact (well, very little, unless off-roading) so so you don't get these impact related injuries. You can suffer overuse injuires just the same as with running but they are less common because the repetitive movement in cycling is much more controlled and constrained (by the machine you're attached to) than with running where it's easy to break into longer strides for example and stretch muscles further than they are used to.

Regarding 'offs'. The odd thing is the worst injury I has was a sprained ankle from a fall when running: A bottle neck at the start of a race so you couldn't see what you were running on meant I didn't see a strip of metal lying proud of the path (dividing a pedestrian walkway and a cycle path). I was out of action for 6 weeks and it took two years to fully heal. I've only ever suffered bruising etc coming off the bike.

Blonde

I'd imagine that pro-racers get more injuries through crashes than any no-pro, as they take risks to win races that we wouldn't take. However the risks of over use injuries might not be as great as you think because not only are they well coached and experienced riders to start with, but they also get decent bikes, specced for them, and I know they don't actually do as many miles per year as those few who do many long audaxes per year or take part in ultra distance events. That type of riding is obviously more likely to lead to overuse injuries and greater problems associated with long periods on a bike, but few cyclists ever come close to doing that kind of mileage and that includes pro- racers.

Back OT, one thing we do share in common is: 'runners nose'... and even 'runners nipples' when it's really cold!!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I love running!!! It's a great thing to do!!

I don't do it long enough or fast enough to get many injuries any more, but didn't get any injuries when I did the marathon a few years ago. I love how it gets your fitness up SO quickly, and how you notice the shape in your body really quickly as well. It's SO theraputic.

I tend to run more through winter to keep my fitness up and spend more time on the bike in the summer.

Blue

Legendary Member
I used to run at top local club level and found that I did, indeed, suffer more injuries as a runner. However, none of the injuries were chronic, unlike a cycling induced knee problem that I just can't resolve :blush:

kyuss

Veteran
Blonde said:
I'd imagine that pro-racers get more injuries through crashes than any no-pro, as they take risks to win races that we wouldn't take. However the risks of over use injuries might not be as great as you think because not only are they well coached and experienced riders to start with, but they also get decent bikes, specced for them, and I know they don't actually do as many miles per year as those few who do many long audaxes per year or take part in ultra distance events. That type of riding is obviously more likely to lead to overuse injuries and greater problems associated with long periods on a bike, but few cyclists ever come close to doing that kind of mileage and that includes pro- racers.

Back OT, one thing we do share in common is: 'runners nose'... and even 'runners nipples' when it's really cold!!!

I'm not an audaxer myself, so I'm happy to be corrected on this, but I would have thought that most pro riders do more miles than your average audaxer. This years Tour de France for instance was 2,205 miles long over 20 stages. That's an average of 220 miles a day, every day for three weeks with only 2 days off. The Giro was a similar distance. Those sort of distances sound like the perfect conditions for overuse injuries. Then there are the other events riders will take part in within a season, not to mention the thousands of miles in training

I think where pros benefit is the personal trainers, physio's aand nutritionists at their disposal. Not many of us mortals can be come home after a long training ride/run and have those little aches and pains massaged away.

Big Bren

I've started running a lot more seriously in recent months and on balance, I'd say it probably has caused me more niggly injuries than cycling ever has; sore knees, painful right hip and almost constant shin splints. This morning I even returned home with a weeping nipple, which was delightful.

That said, the fitness and muscle tone gains are so immediate, I think it's worth it; I'm looking round now for a decent sports physio, to see if I can fend off the most bothersome injuries and train hard over the winter.

Bren

kyuss

Veteran
Steve Austin said:
they did a lot of miles Kyuss, but it wasn't 220 a day. the longest stage was only 240km, so thats only 150miles :biggrin:

Doh! You're right. I should have paid more attention at school.:rolleyes: The average is obviously 110 miles a day.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom