runners & cyclists injuries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leyburnrunner

i'm a runner who always seems to get an injury (knee,achilles etc etc) and i'm wondering if there any common injuries that road cyclists pick up other than falling off.
thanks.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you are a regular cyclist with a good fitting bike then you shouldn't get any injuries from just cycling, the beauty of cycling is that it is low impact on your joints. You don't get anything like the kind of injuries that runners get.

brockers

The only thing that I can think of is possible knee tracking problems from overly tight quads, and similar itb related stuff, but neither appears common. Apart from that, it's good ol' cramp and busted collarbones from crashing!

doog

I too am a runner / cyclist. Running I get a sore left achilles (had it for years), every now and then I feel it on the bike. The only bike injury was knee pain when cycling from Spain to England..I was doing some extreme daily mileages and if Contador can get it then so can I
thumbsup.png

Most injuries come from a poorly fitting bike or clothing. Some common pains and potential causes...

Knee pain --- pushing too big a gear, too low a saddle, saddle too far forward, cleats incorrectly fitted to shoes

Hot foot --- cheap shoes, shoes too small, shoes over tightened

Numb nuts --- poor saddle fit, saddle nose too high, saddle too high

Numb hands --- bars too low, saddle too high, poor gloves, stem too short/long

Back pain --- almost anything, but for me stem too short

Sore hips --- saddle too high

Anyone else got some more?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Piriformis syndrome caused by the shortening of the piriformis /hamstring muscle causing constant pain in the upper buttock/ sciatica symptoms down the leg.

OP
OP
leyburnrunner

leyburnrunner

i'll get a sore neck (schleck-itis) when i've been out on a longish ride,presumably that's down to a poor bike fit.
i suffer with raynauds (bad circulation to fingers) and get numb hands sometimes. i guess i should get better quality gel gloves and bar tape.

007fair

I always pick up minor niggles and strains when running The older I get the longer they take to clear up, and I can't run through them
A sore right knee and cramp are the only cycling issues when pushing hard
(Sore arms, legs neck etc are not injuries - just fatigue)

The good thing about cycling is that quite a few injuries that would stop you running can still be cycled with

Willo

I actually switched to cycling when recovering from a bad achilles injury suffered when running. Now mix the 2 but typically only run once a week and do most of my exercise on the bike and a spin bike in the gym. No more injuries and, ironically, my times running over 10k have improved. Problem is now that running feels a chore compared to the cycling which I enjoy far more!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Never had any injuries as long as I remained on the bike - had one or two after sailing over the handlebars though. (It's a bit like falling - it's only that last little bit that hurts.)

barongreenback

Über Member
I was forced to give up running due to repeated tendinopathy around my knee, usually the popliteus. Spent (or rather my insurer did) thousands on investigative work, physio and podiatry but with only minor improvements - complicated by the additional diagnosis of arthritis. Having done a bit of cycling on and off for a while, have properly taken it up over the last 9 months and touch wood, haven't had any injury beyond the odd twinge. And painful scruttocks before my posterior got used to time in the saddle!

Top Bottom