Running any good for cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trek Trauma Chris

bad boy said:
Sorry if that sounds weird but Hi all,

Im having a new back wheel built and the rim is still on order, so I have been running to work last 2 weeks.

Im doing around 7 to 8 miles on the way in and 5 going home carying a bag with all my kit in.

I really enjoy running and normally do my runs of an evening, but wanted to know if running helps or improves any aspect of cycling.

Thanks

In a nutshell NO!, how can it?, running jars the body even with the best footwear, compresses cartilage and vertebrae thereby creating possible back and neck problems, puts joints under a lot of strain, organs in the body bouncing up and down as you go. I have found, after years of running, that so long as the bike is set up correctly and you stretch the lower back after a ride you get no aches or pains like I did when running, I wish I had discovered cycling 40 yrs ago. As for C.V. then ride faster, find a steeper hill, do intervals (a recently published survey has found that you get more benefit from 10 Min's interval training, than 1 hour aerobic training) I found when running up hills that I naturally slowed down to pace myself up it, on the bike you can only slow so far before you fall off and I was amazed where I found the reserves of energy to keep going, knackered at the top but my resting pulse is now 50-52 bpm. The gist is that any exercise is good for you if it gets you out of breath (but under control) but some forms wreak havoc with the body.

Bill Gates

Trek Trauma Chris said:
a recently published survey has found that you get more benefit from 10 Min's interval training, than 1 hour aerobic training

It depends what you mean by benefit. They are actually serving two separate training purposes.

Trek Trauma Chris said:
I found when running up hills that I naturally slowed down to pace myself up it, on the bike you can only slow so far before you fall off and I was amazed where I found the reserves of energy to keep going, knackered at the top but my resting pulse is now 50-52 bpm.

On a bike the body weight is supported.

Trek Trauma Chris said:
The gist is that any exercise is good for you if it gets you out of breath (but under control) but some forms wreak havoc with the body.

As in running? If you only do running as a substitute for riding when you can't get out on the bike then can't see a problem.

Trek Trauma Chris

Bill Gates said:
It depends what you mean by benefit. They are actually serving two separate training purposes.

On a bike the body weight is supported.

As in running? If you only do running as a substitute for riding when you can't get out on the bike then can't see a problem.

Research now suggests that interval training (30sec flat out/1min easy for 6-8 times, warm up first) is more beneficial both for C.V. and weight loss (apparently your metabolism kick in and stays high for several hours after you have finished thereby encouraging fat to be burnt as fuel, so long as you are eating correctly). This was discovered a few years ago by the Japanese Speed Skaters of all people.

The question asked though, was, is running beneficial for cycling and my answer was NO. To get fit for cycling, cycle! to learn cycling skill's, cycle! I do not read any reports (and I may be wrong) of Brad Wiggins, Lance Armstrong ( I know he was a triathlete in his early days) Chris Hoy or Mark Cavendish embarking on a running regime prior to the T.D.F. or Olympic Games events. I do believe however that most of these guy's do do some form of weight training as part of their build up, so perhaps that is the alternative for cyclist's when they can't get out to ride.;)

Bill Gates

Trek Trauma Chris said:
Research now suggests that interval training (30sec flat out/1min easy for 6-8 times, warm up first) is more beneficial both for C.V. and weight loss (apparently your metabolism kick in and stays high for several hours after you have finished thereby encouraging fat to be burnt as fuel, so long as you are eating correctly). This was discovered a few years ago by the Japanese Speed Skaters of all people.

The question asked though, was, is running beneficial for cycling and my answer was NO. To get fit for cycling, cycle! to learn cycling skill's, cycle! I do not read any reports (and I may be wrong) of Brad Wiggins, Lance Armstrong ( I know he was a triathlete in his early days) Chris Hoy or Mark Cavendish embarking on a running regime prior to the T.D.F. or Olympic Games events. I do believe however that most of these guy's do do some form of weight training as part of their build up, so perhaps that is the alternative for cyclist's when they can't get out to ride.;)

The most trainable part of an athletes CV system is their LT (Lactate Threshold), and by and large it is the athletes LT which determines their speed and endurance and therefore ability to win.

Training LT is best achieved by sustained efforts (say 20 minutes) in the LT zone, roughly 85-95% MHR. LT level is described as the average effort over a 1 hour TT.

Training 30 seconds flat out trains anaerobic capacity or lactate tolerance and does little for LT.

If you're a pro then the chances are that you can train in warmer climates during periods of ice and snow or a track. Given a choice then riding a bike is best but IMO running is good if you can't get out on the bike

brockers

I find running has been a good way of maintaining fitness. Even just doing an hour a week split into 3 sessions over the winter seems to have been enough. I find that when I get back on a bike, I can ride faster at threshold (long uphill drags for example), but obviously can't sprint for toffee or do steep hills, because my cycling specific muscles have lost condition and turn to jelly within seconds. (A ride with a good local amateur racer last week made me realise that my heart and lungs could write cheques that my legs just couldn't cash!)

I've adapted the way I run to the new-fangled 'barefoot' style too, landing on the balls of my feet, because my hips were aching due to the heel-strike. But it takes a long time for your calves and achilles to adapt so that you can run any sort of distance.

I remember reading that Sean Yates used to run a bit in the off-season, Surely doing something different every now and again is quite healthy and stops boredom setting in?

Trek Trauma Chris

brockers said:
I find running has been a good way of maintaining fitness. Even just doing an hour a week split into 3 sessions over the winter seems to have been enough. I find that when I get back on a bike, I can ride faster at threshold (long uphill drags for example), but obviously can't sprint for toffee or do steep hills, because my cycling specific muscles have lost condition and turn to jelly within seconds. (A ride with a good local amateur racer last week made me realise that my heart and lungs could write cheques that my legs just couldn't cash!)

I've adapted the way I run to the new-fangled 'barefoot' style too, landing on the balls of my feet, because my hips were aching due to the heel-strike. But it takes a long time for your calves and achilles to adapt so that you can run any sort of distance.

I remember reading that Sean Yates used to run a bit in the off-season, Surely doing something different every now and again is quite healthy and stops boredom setting in?

Sure it is and does, but in my opinion not running. As you have stated you have had to adapt to a different style of running because of hip ache, your new style though, could cause you to get Plantar Fasciitis (straining the bottom of your foot, pain is felt in the heel) so can I suggest that you massage your feet with a golf ball to relieve the stress (I am not joking, I've had it and this was the only way to relieve it). I have mentioned in this thread that some pro riders weight train, so could I suggest to you if you have access to a gym, to keep your legs in shape and your C.V. an exercise called Breathing Squats, basically you put a barbell across your top of back, with a total weight that allows you to do 20 parallel squats, when you complete these take 10-15 deep breaths (10-15 secs) whilst moving around, then perform another set, then 10-15 deep breaths again and so on for 5 Set's , and believe me after 3 Set's you will be gasping for breath and at the end of the 5Th you'll be knackered. Warm up first and do not go lower than parallel (to avoid knee strain) keep good form and you will feel every muscle working during this exercise.

brockers

Appreciate the info, TTC especially about the squats, but being one of those twits who has to learn the hard way, I still think I'll keep up the running for a bit longer, although maybe only once a week or until I get plantar fasciitis. Unfortunately my cycling comeback will have to be postponed as I've just been out for a ride and my rear mech got tangled in the wheel (broken hanger, chain, mech). My riding partner had an excellent workout towing me the twenty miles home though.

Top Bottom