Running any good for cycling ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Sorry if that sounds weird but Hi all,

Im having a new back wheel built and the rim is still on order, so I have been running to work last 2 weeks.

Im doing around 7 to 8 miles on the way in and 5 going home carying a bag with all my kit in.

I really enjoy running and normally do my runs of an evening, but wanted to know if running helps or improves any aspect of cycling.

Thanks

Well, it's a lot better for your CV system and some of it translates to the bike much more than the other way around.

Garz

Squat Member
As crackle says, will help muscles cycling doesn't reach so a great bonus albeit with more impact and injury concerns however.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks for the replies,

How do these perceived benefits translate to cycling in terms of the benefits I am likely to notice ?.

Might it be that I find the hills a little easier or something ?

jay clock

Massive member
As a triathlete I am biased but I think that varying your exercise routine is of great benefit. However because I do not have time to do as much as I would ideally like, I only run 3 times a week. That turns out to be good for injury prevention etc.

Now you are running a half marathon EVERY day at the moment - or at least 5 days a week. That sounds like a massive strain. Ease off slightly!

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
jay clock said:
As a triathlete I am biased but I think that varying your exercise routine is of great benefit. However because I do not have time to do as much as I would ideally like, I only run 3 times a week. That turns out to be good for injury prevention etc.

Now you are running a half marathon EVERY day at the moment - or at least 5 days a week. That sounds like a massive strain. Ease off slightly!

Hi Jay

Thanks for the reply I take your point, I didnt think of it like that but I will ease of slightly as ive got a problem with my left foot going numb after 5/6 miles at the moment and its driving me mad also.

Bill Gates

IMO running is excellent training for cycling, especially running up hills or stairs. Pedalling a bike is a specific exercise and best of all training is to ride the bike but use as a substitute then you get as hard a CV workout for less time and use most of the same leg muscles.

I'm going to play squash tomorrow with a carbon leg brace fixed above and below my dodgy knee. I've only played a couple of times with my son in the last 6 years and now I've had a knee arthroscopy I'm going to give it another bash.

The last competitive match I played was when I had my first MI in April 2004. Before that I was playing Surrey League team squash 2-3 times a week. Quite excited about playing again as I miss it terribly. Great CV workout can only help my cycling provided I can still walk the following day.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Bill Gates said:
IMO running is excellent training for cycling, especially running up hills or stairs. Pedalling a bike is a specific exercise and best of all training is to ride the bike but use as a substitute then you get as hard a CV workout for less time and use most of the same leg muscles.

I'm going to play squash tomorrow with a carbon leg brace fixed above and below my dodgy knee. I've only played a couple of times with my son in the last 6 years and now I've had a knee arthroscopy I'm going to give it another bash.

The last competitive match I played was when I had my first MI in April 2004. Before that I was playing Surrey League team squash 2-3 times a week. Quite excited about playing again as I miss it terribly. Great CV workout can only help my cycling provided I can still walk the following day.

Good luck with that Bill I hope you manage to enjoy the game and dont do yourself any damage.

Bill Gates

I played my squash and thoroughly enjoyed my first couple of games. American scoring first to 10 on a round robin. I beat one of the 1st team players at the club 10-9 would you believe. After that I slowed up but carried on and still did OK. This morning the knee is like a balloon and very painful so no cycling for a couple of days.

I thought I'd check out the results of my Knee arthroscopy and this is what I posted back then:

The other objective was to view the damage and provide a long term prognosis. It seems that on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the worst; that the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) are a 3 and the lateral collateral ligament (LCL) is a 4 (bone on bone fibula/femur).

No imminent desperate need but in the long term I need a knee replacement. Cycling and/or swimming is good; impact sports, running etc is bad.

So here I am a 100% bloody idiot. The knee brace can only do so much and bone on bone can't be supported. At least my wife doesn't have to worry about me playing again.

jimboalee

Bill Gates said:

Come on Bill, two steps at a time,,,, :biggrin:

Bill Gates said:
I played my squash and thoroughly enjoyed my first couple of games. American scoring first to 10 on a round robin. I beat one of the 1st team players at the club 10-9 would you believe. After that I slowed up but carried on and still did OK. This morning the knee is like a balloon and very painful so no cycling for a couple of days.

I thought I'd check out the results of my Knee arthroscopy and this is what I posted back then:

The other objective was to view the damage and provide a long term prognosis. It seems that on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the worst; that the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) are a 3 and the lateral collateral ligament (LCL) is a 4 (bone on bone fibula/femur).

No imminent desperate need but in the long term I need a knee replacement. Cycling and/or swimming is good; impact sports, running etc is bad.

So here I am a 100% bloody idiot. The knee brace can only do so much and bone on bone can't be supported. At least my wife doesn't have to worry about me playing again.

but you won :biggrin:

I did a nice hill run yesterday and today went on the dry ski slope with the kids. Skiing was OK but going up on the button lift was using the same muscles as the tired hill running ones. By jove, I'd broken out into a sweat by the time I got up to the top, legs trembling. Luckily they slowly unseized after a few more drags.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Bill Gates said:

Blimey Bill, I admire your determination don't get me wrong I can really relate to that as I am the same, but if you are going to suffer like that after you gotta be careful.

Bill Gates

bad boy said:
Blimey Bill, I admire your determination don't get me wrong I can really relate to that as I am the same, but if you are going to suffer like that after you gotta be careful.

The guys were asking whether I wanted to get into playing for the teams and I'm getting carried away and saying well let's see how I am in the morning, but hey I'll be here again next week.

You know I could probably get away with playing twice a week but then I'd be limping for the rest of the time and have to give it up as the knee got progessively worse, and also no cycling at all.

My son even told me to inquire about a knee replacement and he said he would pay for an operation but researching it all it seems that after knee replacement surgery that squash is a big No No!!

So it'll be cycling only from now on, which is what I decided on 4 or 5 years ago. The trouble is I had forgotten what my knee was like after a game. Now I remember the hard way.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Bill Gates said:
The guys were asking whether I wanted to get into playing for the teams and I'm getting carried away and saying well let's see how I am in the morning, but hey I'll be here again next week.

You know I could probably get away with playing twice a week but then I'd be limping for the rest of the time and have to give it up as the knee got progessively worse, and also no cycling at all.

My son even told me to inquire about a knee replacement and he said he would pay for an operation but researching it all it seems that after knee replacement surgery that squash is a big No No!!

So it'll be cycling only from now on, which is what I decided on 4 or 5 years ago. The trouble is I had forgotten what my knee was like after a game. Now I remember the hard way.

Yes I can understand that it must be really hard for you especially as you have still got it, in the sense of the squash abilities.

It sounds really painful to me, Ive had to give football up for injury reasons also much to my total frustration but after ending up on crutches twice a season for the last two seasons my wife was going ballistic.

Top Bottom