Good Lock for front wheel only for commuting !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SO8

Veteran
Ok, so just interested in views re how to secure the front wheel from theft on my Spec Crosstrail Pro .... frame and rear wheel locked via Litelok X3. Given the nature of the bike the wheel to frame needs a big D lock (Abus Granit 59 or Kryptonite M18 fit) or cable ... or chain , or ...

Abus Bordo 6500 x .... or a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 chain lock (aka lock picking lawyer favourite) ... or an Abus 5950 frame lock with 8mm add on chain attached to front wheel.

I have got quick release wheels for now so need a lock until I address the quick release option. Being sad and having had three bikes before now, I have all options above.

The bike is old but not made so I don't want it going walkies and I am just re starting commuting with it !

Views on which one ? I cycle with two panniers so can accommodate the locks but any extra unnecessary weight is a pain.

roley poley

Über Member
will your front quick released wheel fit into the combo of lock,frame,rear wheel and fixing point all at the same time so you use one lock ?

Reactions: SO8
OP
OP
S

SO8

Veteran
OK, decided on Hiplok XL loop chain which then fits from the front wheel to the Litelok X3 which is securing the rear wheel and frame. The chain is 2.3kg so lighter than a Kryptonite Evolution 4 chainlock I was using which is 2.7kg (as the chain has no lock I guess) .

Nothing is light ... but is seems pretty easy to fit tbh and is well made :smile:

OP
OP
S

SO8

Veteran
Check out 'The Lockpicking Lawyers' YouTube channel, he has a playlist just for bike locks.
Most can be broken into so fast you won't even have time to start crying... :-(

Its a great resource.

Also try to see his April Fools and Valentines day general videos as they are often very funny.

I find his stuff amusing and bought the Kryptonite Series 4 chain after seeing he rated it. I’ve watched his stuff for ages but will keep an eye for April 1st 😊

andyb1

Seems like nowadays the lock is not targeted so often as hand power tools are so good at cutting chains, cables etc.

Dadam

For the front wheel on the commuter bike I got this a few months ago. Seems pretty good for the money. You get front and rear skewers, but I've only used the front as the rear wheel has the D or chain lock through it.
7 lobe security torx head. So not exactly unique but obscure enough so an opportunist wheel thief is less likely to carry a suitable wrench.

Seems like nowadays the lock is not targeted so often as hand power tools are so good at cutting chains, cables etc.

The Lock Picking Lawyer has been know to disappear to his garage and apply various cutting and breaking tools and video results.
He seems really nice as well a humorous.

He also enters premises on behalf of the USA government investigators, when they need discreet access.

Top Bottom