Ruptured Acilles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

I had a complete ruprure of my achilles tendon back in March, which was surgically repaied. I expect to get the cast off my leg next week.

one of the consultants i've seen has said i shouldn't get back on a bike until mid July, and then only an excercise bike.

does anyone have any experience of this injury, and any advice to speed recovery?

MichaelM

Guru
Aye - don't try and speed the recovery.

I had it done about 10 years back - I seem to remember it was 4 weeks in a cast with my toes pointing down, then 4 weeks in a new cast with toes up a bit, then it was onto a hinged robocop type brace with the the range of motion being increased every few weeks.

I think the op was in May, and I had the go ahead to bike again in Sept. I rode a tricky trail (mtb) that I liked and fell off - I was on the floor clutching my Achilies cursing myself for being impatient (luckyly I hadn't done any damage).

Just accept that you're going to be off the bike for a while, let it heal, and come back in style!

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

Thanks for the advice guys.

got the stookie removed yesterday and its pretty clear i won't be doing much of anything any time soon.

There's very little movement in the ankle, it's sore, swollen and my leg looks like it's had a bad shave from a combine harvester.

The consultant hasn't referred me for physio, but has given me a couple of excercises (which i'm yet asunable to do). I've also got an area where I have no feeling, which i'm hoping will return soon.

I guess I'll just need to be patient and see how things go.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can we ask how you did it - you weren't doing a silly sport like football ?

That must be one of the top ten nasty injuries for a cyclist

Turbo trainer only then for a bit.... !!!!!

yenrod

Heh Lazy' - I remember when I done my collar bone and obviously it aint like your injury, take it as a rest !!!!!!!

Ok it'll obviously be BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if you rush it you'll very very sorry.

Look forward to the Tour ! :sad:

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

fossyant said:
Can we ask how you did it - you weren't doing a silly sport like football ?

I gave up playing football after a fairly bad ankle injury (same one) years ago.
This time i was playing squash.

Mrs LFG has a big smug told you so grin - she's just surprised i didn't have a heart attack (although i did have to have an ECG after an adverse reaction to the painkillers I was given in A&E)

looks like i'll just be sticking to the bike/cakes for recreation in future :biggrin:

Don't rush it!!!

Take it really, really easy. Watch lots of telly, spend time with the wife, don't worry about the weight you'll put on.

If you overdo it and it goes again, the results can be really serious.

cgravisuk

I also ruptured mine completely playing squash.

I had 6 weeks in plaster, 2 months physio (exercises and cycling in the gym), then started jogging and cycling, building up to running. In total it took me just under 6 months to get back to full fitness.

So, if you've just had your cast off now, end of July/early August sounds about right for getting back on the bike.

The hardest part was getting the mussle back on my leg. My calf had gone to nothing in the 6 weeks in plaster, so had to do a lot wieghts on that leg.

Its a nasty injury, but do the exercises (loads of them), and you will feel it gradually getting stronger. try not to rush things and you'll be fine.

All the best

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

Baiscally he said he didn't feel physio was appropriate (not sure if this is for this injury or just me)

I have to walk normally - no limping, which is still imposible unless I use the crutches as I have no strength in the calf and the ankle is still very stiff.

I aslo have to lift my heels and stand on the balls of my feet. again this is practically impossible on the damaged leg.

I also suggested I would swim regularly and he agreed this would help. unfortunately I've been unable to drive to the pool, though I will start this next week.

I went back to a&e after the weekend as my foot and lower leg were so swollen I couldn't get footwear on. I wasn't best pleased when I got chastised for not wearing the tubigrip that I was never issued by 3 seperate people, only to be told by the 3rd there wasn't much point wearing one now and it would get worse before it got better.

wafflycat

Funnily enough... I was just about to post this:-

"Mr Wafflycat has snapped his left achilles tendon and strained something in his lower right leg. He did this yesterday. He is currently in a temporary
plaster on the left (knee to toe) and I am taking him back to horse spittle
tomorrow, to see a quack in order that it can be decided as to WhatMustBeDone.

Digressing somewhat...

He is currently mobile by virtue of a 'zimmer frame' walking aid, so he is
very slow & unsteady. The hand grips of said NHS frame quickly come sweaty and slippy. Wafflycat Minor has put cork bar tape round the grips and this has vastly improved the situation as regards safety of grip when the frame
is being used.

Back to the matter in hand.

Have any of the denizens of CC had such an injury and how long did it take them to get back on the bike? Once out of plaster, did you find cycling a useful aid to getting mobility back in the ankle?

Ta muchly!"

wafflycat

Years & years ago, I did some tendons in in my foot. Didn't rupture them, but I stretched them to the point of pinging & was in hospital for several days, had leg in support bandages and was on sticks for three months.

I am *so glad* I did lots of exercises flexing & rotating my foot once I was out of main heavy banaging state and at point of getting more mobile. To this day I have less mobility in it than my other foot, but compared to some who didn't do the rotating & flexing exercises as much as I did I have far, far more mobilty.

When Wafflycat Minor broke his shoulderblade, once out of hospital I had him off to a sports' physio within a week. Darned good job too. When I took Wafflycat Minor along for his six week check, the doc was both surprised and impressed at the range of motion Wafflycat Minor had. He was fully expecting Wafflycat Minor to have a very limited range of movement and indeed Wafflycat Minor would have had a very limited range of movement if he had done as the doc initially told him to, which was total immobility. Wafflycat Minor now has a full range of movement restored and no residual pain.

Another example is that of a very experienced cyclist we know (RAAM winner) who broke his collarbone badly (required surgery). Again, Doc told him not to move it, but he took the advice of a sports' physio and was exercising from early on how the physio told him to. Result: that same was with Wafflycat Minor - amazed docs at six week follow up as to the range of movements the person could do.

As a physio friend told me many years ago - docs are very good at mending breaks in bones and the like but they are not so good at knowing & understanding how the overall thing works and what needs to be done to keep it moving once the break has been joined back together again. I think she has a point.

So once Mr Wafflycat has been to the doc tomorrow, dependent upon the outcome of that, he will have an appointment made at the local sports' physio who knows her stuff.

Top Bottom