Ruptured ligament

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I ruptured a ligament on the outside of my ankle playing Rugby. There is a partial tear, and I've been advised to not play rugby for either 3 weeks, or till I am comfortable on it.

How safe is it to cycle? I forgot to ask, but I was thinking of dropping my saddle a touch, so my ankle doesn't need to flex at all through the stroke.

Opinions?

ScotiaLass

Guru
Personally, I wouldn't.
You may think you're taking it easy etc but accidents happen and you could turn that partial tear into a full one, requiring surgery.
If in doubt consult your doctor.

vickster

Legendary Member
Horizontal jogging, stay in and get sweaty?

Gardening? Housework? Strip and clean the bikes?

Do you have a physio? Contact on Monday? Who diagnosed the injury?

You did ask for opinions, up to you if you follow the requested suggestions :smile:

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Horizontal jogging, stay in and get sweaty?
I wouldn't be so lucky :biggrin:
Gardening? Housework? Strip and clean the bikes?
Bike is relatively new build, and cleaned every ride, so already spotless
Do you have a physio? Contact on Monday? Who diagnosed the injury?
Local A&E department diagnosed the injury
You did ask for opinions, up to you if you follow the requested suggestions :smile:

Only redeeming factor is that the rain is awful today. But, even wet cycling looks fun at the moment :biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
Phone A&E? Or see GP on Monday

Spring clean the house in the meantime, or just stick your feet up and watch the lady pros doing the ride London race on BBC2 at 6

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I forgot to ask, but I was thinking of dropping my saddle a touch, so my ankle doesn't need to flex at all through the stroke.

Opinions?
Wouldn't dropping the saddle make your ankles flex MORE, since your knees would be further forward at the bottom of the pedal stroke?

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Wouldn't dropping the saddle make your ankles flex MORE, since your knees would be further forward at the bottom of the pedal stroke?

No idea, my theory was that my foot would stay flat, instead of pointing down to scoop the pedal through?

But then, would it point up more at the back? hmmmmm.

Mentioning that seems to suggest that there's no way around it but waiting :sad:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
How about resting it? Ruptured ligaments have a habit of not healing properly if you don't give them the time they need.
What about gentle swimming or something really low impact?
Get well soon :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS... NEVER EVER MUCK ABOUT WITH YOUR SADDLE HEIGHT. MM BY MM OR LEAVE IT ALONE !!!!!!

Sorry to shout, but that is the rulz, or your knees will be in heaven before YOU get there.

OP
OP
PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270

Veteran
Just an update on this. I finally gave in that to get specific personal advice that A&E department or the internet isn't very useful.

I will be seeing a physiotherapist tomorrow, for some specific professional advice.

Top Bottom