Rural road riding advice - And A545?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ethan

Hello chaps.
I'm new to this cycling lark (well, 8 months into this cycling lark) and up till now the majority of my riding has been done on the lovely scenic roads of Manchester (:rolleyes:) which are busy, congested, full of idiots and pot holes - which has been enough to put a smile on my face so far!
But I'm lucky enough to get a little over 4 months off university - And I'm off home to Anglesey!

I'm just looking for tips on rural road cycling.
Many of the roads are single lane jobbies, with bushes on either side. Some very steep and slow climbs, and lovely decent when you have to resist the urge to let go of the brakes and go for it due to the amount of blind corners.
I'm pretty confident in busy traffic, but Im not sure how to translate that into keeping safe on rural roads.
I'll also be riding the A545 or the 'Garth bends' as they are known (which I've done once already - Its the road from Menai bridge to Beaumaris) a fair bit! Anyone here done it? I know its a log shot but it'd be interesting to know your experience.
It's a very narrow, twisty road that hugs the coast line - Its a fast one in winter but in summer it slows considerably due to the amount of coaches/motor homes with tourists driving an alien road.
It's got some lovely corners, and a great road surface on the whole. To give you an idea http://goo.gl/maps/28oG
Any tips for this sort of road too

Cheers for the help!
Can't wait to get back in my lycra :laugh: http://goo.gl/maps/28oG

Globalti

Legendary Member
Avoid that coast road and head inland for peaceful, empty roads.

The only advice I can offer is that where roads are breaking up gravel will collect on corners; watch out and plan your line if cornering fast. As for other road users, always assume there will be something coming round that blind bend.

Recycler

I hate to say it, but fast, narrow, twisting roads are, in my view, the worst of the lot!

Drivers try to get passed you when they can't see what is coming the other way. They decide to "risk it" and either pass too close or swerve when somebody comes the other way. Be prepared to take primary when necessary and then move back to the side when you can see that it is safe for them to overtake. Use your ears. Make sure that you are visible.

Then get off that road and onto the quiet ones!

Think of the craziest and most arrogant idiots you've met on city streets, where they're somewhat "tamed" by the congestion. Now set them "free" on the open road. :eek:

Sad fact - their sense of entitlement to space and speed is vastly increased when on country roads which they think should be "quiet", where their regal process "is certain" to be unimpeded. :cursing:

Granted - they're spread more thinly. And all the more dangerous for that. Hey - I love cycling outside the city. But it's no place for complacency?

OP
OP
Ethan

Ethan

Think of the craziest and most arrogant idiots you've met on city streets, where they're somewhat "tamed" by the congestion. Now set them "free" on the open road. :eek:

Sad fact - their sense of entitlement to space and speed is vastly increased when on country roads which they think should be "quiet", where their regal process "is certain" to be unimpeded. :cursing:

Granted - they're spread more thinly. And all the more dangerous for that. Hey - I love cycling outside the city. But it's no place for complacency?

That's what I'm worried about.
The general driver seems far more willing to hang back and over take properly at home in Wales.
But the idiot seems far more, well... Idiotic.
Certainly no place for complacency!

Avoid that coast road and head inland for peaceful, empty roads.

I think I'll take your advice on that - its probably not safe! Funnily its sign posted for cyclists, although I've never seen anyone but very fast roadies on it!
Alternative is a 14% incline and a long, 30% incline, I'm going to have massive legs after 4 months of that :laugh:

[QUOTE 1865407, member: 45"]Don't wear headphones. Then you'll be able to hear things coming before you see them.[/quote]

I'd never wear headphones while cycling anywhere. It's an exceedingly silly thing to do!
Signals to other drivers though is a good plan. I do the usual turning and the occasional 'back up and give me some room, damn it' signals.

While Im here, any tips on getting the SWMBO on the bike? I've convinced her to come on a little ride with me, she's nto confident on the roads but I'll make sure we stick to safe roads with little traffic.
Is it just a case of not challenging her to a sprint? :laugh:

toroddf

Be careful around blind bends/corners. Too many looses spokes, wheels, bikes, limbs and their lives going too fast around blind corners. On the other side of the blind corner, you may find another cyclist, a small child, a car/tractor, an animal, a pothole or finding out that what you believe is a 45 degree corner is in fact a 90 degree corner with a vertical drop outside. NHS and the funeral agencies has their hands full with that 45 degrees difference.

I was thinking of this today :smile:

Just a thought - watching myself pootling along country lanes between the A64 and the A1(M). I take a considerably "greedier" position on the road - as my "normal" line. Well more than a metre out, and often full primary. Aye - but I'm much readier to pull in to the left to let people pass when it's safe. I think "they" may think it's a wobble and give me LOTS of space :evil:

And it kinda fits with SWMBO getting out as well - if you're riding behind and to her right, she's got a wee safety envelope :smile:

400bhp

Guru
Reading this, one might think cycling outside towns is dangerous. :whistle:

Best advice I can think of is try to set off as early as you can - less chance of those nasty cars being around then.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Roads in Wales can be trecherous. You dont know who will come flying around the next corner so be aware. I was going over a bridge in town this evening when a car came hurtling up behind me and actually had to steer into the path of oncoming vehicles to avoid me. It was probably the scariest thing that has happened since the winter for me.

The countryside in Wales is picturesque and as you live near the Menai, your routes may overlook the river. If you want to enjoy your ride, get a good workout, and take in the scenery, ride roads like this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQXxkT_UPw&feature=g-upl

@ 0:51 and 1:15

Not roads like this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3qPxpdt9RY&feature=g-upl

sidevalve

Über Member
One other thing to beware of, poop ! Horses, cattle, and worst of all tractors with slurry trailers off to the fields.
Not only is it slippy as hell but it's a VERY good incentive to use mudguards. Other than that I've found farmers to be a pretty ok bunch and though they may pass pretty close [they often don't have much choice in narrow roads] they are at least easy to see [and hear]. Anyway I recon the scenery will make up for most things.

green1

Über Member
That is one road I'd never cycle on in the summer (from Llanfairpwll originally). I'd do it in the winter when it's just locals driving about, but when the tourists are about it resembles hanger straight.

tyred

Legendary Member
I ride on country roads all the time.

Take a strong primary position on blind lefthanders if you suspect there is a car coming up behind you as you'll improve your visibility and discourage a stupid overtake.

Be aware that people joining a quiet road from their driveway or other sideroad will probably drive out without looking as they don't expect other traffic. Anticipate this.

Facilitate other traffic overtaking where you can to avoid frustration but only if it's safe for you to do so.

Be wary of T-junctions with poor sightline and high hedges and that a car turning into the road you are leaving from your left may cut the corner as they may not realise you are there.

Watch for potholes, loose gravel and cow shoot.

And most importantly, slow down, enjoy the ride, the scenery and the scents and wildlife of the countryside.

Dan_h

I ride on country roads all the time.

Take a strong primary position on blind lefthanders if you suspect there is a car coming up behind you as you'll improve your visibility and discourage a stupid overtake.

Be aware that people joining a quiet road from their driveway or other sideroad will probably drive out without looking as they don't expect other traffic. Anticipate this.

Facilitate other traffic overtaking where you can to avoid frustration but only if it's safe for you to do so.

Be wary of T-junctions with poor sightline and high hedges and that a car turning into the road you are leaving from your left may cut the corner as they may not realise you are there.

Watch for potholes, loose gravel and cow s***.

And most importantly, slow down, enjoy the ride, the scenery and the scents and wildlife of the countryside.

I also ride on country roads pretty much daily, I am fortunate that my commute is 16 miles worth of countryside! I agree with all of the above except slow down... there is less stationary traffic to pass so this is a great opportunity to go for it on the drops with your tail in the air and guns blazing :thumbsup:

Top Bottom