Russell Downing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
When people were thinking about which British riders were likely to be winning big stage races in 2010, Russell Downing probably wasn't the first name being considered. But good for one of the hardest working and most decent guys in British cycling, he's only gone and won the Tour de Wallonie (a 2HC race) in Belgium. I had a feeling he might be close at the end given his consistent results on the first four stages, but I was very pleased to see him do more than be consistent and take the final stage as well as getting the overall victory. Good stuff.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-wallonie-2-hc-1/stage-5/results

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Result! One of my favourite riders.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I was lucky enough to see him take my former club's Beaumont Trophy title in Northumberland back in 2007 and was always surprised that he wasn't picked up by at least a decent European pro-continental team before this season.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'd forgotten actually that he had ridden for some European pro teams back in 1999-2001, with the Linda McCartney team and then Miche - indeed in those seasons it was looking like he was on his way to being one of Britain's most successful international riders. The he seems to have gone back to being primarily UK-based... I wonder what happened. Anyone know?

Top Bottom