Rusty Bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I think I keep my bike in reasonable condition but I find it intensely irritating when screws and bolts start to rust, even when they haven't been touched and scratched with a hex key. Is it possible to buy stainless versions?

For example -
2014-02-09 09.21.41.jpg

robgul

Legendary Member
Yes ... and titanium too if you want to save some weight! Screwfix sells SS allen bolts that would do the job.

Rob

D

Deleted member 1258

You can also grease them when they are new to slow the rust down.

stevede

Have used this seller on eBay many times for stainless bolts on my mini. Good value & excellent service. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/astleycomp...61260014&_sid=684907314&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Screwfix is good also, but you have to buy larger bags. Can work out a bit more expensive if you only need a few. Most common is M5 and if you buy a slightly longer length, you can always cut them down to suit different jobs. If you do trim them, make sure you file off the cutting burs or these can damage the thread in the socket. Spot of grease on the thread is good practice too, even with stainless.

Regards

Steve

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Have used this seller on eBay many times for stainless bolts on my mini. Good value & excellent service. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/astleycomp...61260014&_sid=684907314&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Screwfix is good also, but you have to buy larger bags. Can work out a bit more expensive if you only need a few. Most common is M5 and if you buy a slightly longer length, you can always cut them down to suit different jobs. If you do trim them, make sure you file off the cutting burs or these can damage the thread in the socket. Spot of grease on the thread is good practice too, even with stainless.

Regards

Steve
A good trick when cutting down bolts is to thread a nut on beyond where you cut then unscrew it after cutting, it cleans up the thread nicely.

Top Bottom