Rusty Chain - my fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My MTB has a 9sp Shimano HG53 chain... and it is forever rusting up. Most of the time its just surface rust.

I do wash off the mud, give it a wipe with a rag, degrease and lube... yet it always seems to be rusty, I have even taken the chain off and soaked it a few times though it didn't look very pretty coming out.

Now its hanging in the garage and I noticed today the chain is almost gold with rust - is the chain really this crappy? I ride my other bikes more (105 chain, and a KMC Z-610RB) and look after them just as well, if not less regarding cleaning the chains and they are perfectly fine.

I pretty much need a new chain - and am considering a XTR chain, or any other suggestions?

gbb

Legendary Member
Once the rust has got a hold, you'll never stop it coming back however much you clean it.
If the chain hasnt stretched with useage, i'd just keep cleaning and lubing it and carry on using it. It'll work just as well, just not so nice to look at.

But if the bikes your pride and joy and you can't stand looking at the chain.....you know the answer.:tongue:

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

I'd plump for a KMC chain instead.... HG53's are fairly low on the shimano chains.

I realise this, and I know many like KMC chains - but I don't really know the order of the series regarding KMC and what would be equivalent to say the XTR etc

400bhp

Guru
Do you use wet or dry lube?

If it's sitting around a lot in a cold damp garage then it will be more prone to rust

Top Bottom