Rusty chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I've offered to strip and clean an old bike for a friend. It's been sat outside for quite a while and the chain is rusty. He doesn't want to buy a new chain so any suggestions on how to clean the chain?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lube, Wipe
Lube, Wipe
Lube, Wipe

That should do it

Sharky

Guru
As above.

If too many of the links are seized, then probably not saveable.

7/8 speed chains are only £7 or so. You could just treat him to a new chain if he is your friend. But it might show up a worn cassette as well.

Is the chain on your own bike compatible? Treat yourself to a new chain and give your old one?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
While I'm all for saving stuff there's also the question of your time - one might interpret said mate's request as a p*ss-take; essentially requesting that you spend a disproportionate amount of your time trying to salvage the knackered chain as your time is worth less than the few quid it would cost them to replace it..

Have you run it by a chain checker? Of course any salvage attempts will be worthless if it's worn out already.

All that said; worth removing it and slinging it in a jar of paraffin for a bit to try and free it up..?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
WD40 or an other brand all over the chain then take it for a ride and see what happens or how far you get .

GuyBoden

Guru
As above.

If too many of the links are seized, then probably not saveable.

7/8 speed chains are only £7 or so. You could just treat him to a new chain if he is your friend. But it might show up a worn cassette as well.

Is the chain on your own bike compatible? Treat yourself to a new chain and give your old one?

Lube, Wipe
Lube, Wipe
Lube, Wipe
Lube, Wipe
Lube, Wipe
Throw in the bin. :laugh:

Top Bottom