rusty forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza19

can anyone tell me how to clean the rust of these forks and free them up again please also how can i free a stuck seat stem thanks in advance for any help given which would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 23
It is ruined. Discard and replace with solid fork. As for the latter problem, do a search here for hacksaw blade and stuck seatpost.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The seat post removal might be difficult. Looks like you have a steel post in a aluminium frame so you can't 'melt' it out with caustic soda as you could if visa versa. All you can do is apply some WD40 or whatever and hope, maybe apply some heat to the frame. It could well be a lost cause. You might have to resort to a hacksaw but you'll have to be careful not to damage the frame.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My work colleague is having a nightmare with a stuck dropper post in his carbon MTB. He's having to resort to a bike shop. The dropper post is adding to the nightmare due to the internal 'workings'. Poor lad had also just bought a £3k MTB that was stolen within 6 weeks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS those forks are proper dead. Suntour XCM are 'quite' cheap (well about £80), or get some 80-100mm suspension corrected rigid ones.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Or simply take some off a scrapper, doesn't look like it's worth spending too much money on. That's after you sort out that seat post of course :smile:.

Crankarm

Guru
I wouldn't even spend a penny on that rusty neglected shed of a bike. Bin it and get a new one. Seriously it will cost you a fortune in time and cash and at the end of it you will still have a crappy bike. The pedigree of Viking bikes were not great. Down there with Apollo.

OP
OP
gazza19

gazza19

I wouldn't even spend a penny on that rusty neglected shed of a bike. Bin it and get a new one. Seriously it will cost you a fortune in time and cash and at the end of it you will still have a crappy bike. The pedigree of Viking bikes were not great. Down there with Apollo.
thank you for your advice

tyred

Legendary Member

I know what you are saying but...

The OP will learn loads from such a project and it will only be as expensive as you want it to be. Parts can be refurbished or robbed from other bikes, often for little money. There is also the satisfaction of doing things yourself and knowing that you have saved something from the skip.

You can't put a price in everything.

Crankarm

Guru
I know what you are saying but...

The OP will learn loads from such a project and it will only be as expensive as you want it to be. Parts can be refurbished or robbed from other bikes, often for little money. There is also the satisfaction of doing things yourself and knowing that you have saved something from the skip.

You can't put a price in everything.

Well at least it's not my money he'll be throwing away.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Suspension BSO's really aren't worth expending any money or effort on resurrecting knackered ones. I only ever use them as 26" parts donors, and only then if under £5 to buy and preferably free. All I would do in this situation is strip all the mechanicals off, throw the sus frame and forks in the skip, and use the salvage parts to build up or repair a rigid frame bike.

Top Bottom